DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

Old 27th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Actually, we're looking into some collaboration suites at present. I've been playing with Zimbra (CentOS server) but am still feeling my way around it. I'm almost afraid to play with its postfix config file so far. Also, of course, there is the worry about MS buying Yahoo and what might happen.

Interestingly enough, to my surprise, some cost studies, (not by MS) showed that Exchange might actually be cheaper in some cases. The problem with Zimbra (and another one, the name escapes me, Scaler, or something similar) is that they have yearly licensing, so that the cost gradually goes over the one time cost of Exchange. (The comparison was also based on getting RedHat with premium support, which adds something like $1300 annually to the equation.)

I'll take a look at Citadel too. I see a mention of it on Zimbra forums. We might wind up with a postfix/dovecot solution as well, at this point, we're looking at all options.
Old 27th May 2008
Risen from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleal View Post
I have been using sendmail for many years , it have had security issues , but not anymore (since 3 years ago) it is fast , easy to configure
Only someone who has used sendmail for many many years, has memorised all the 2-letter codes, and spent hours poring over the m4 manuals would ever think to say that sendmail is "easy to configure".

That's like saying "vi is easy to use", or "flying a jumbo jet is easy", or "editing the Windows registry is easy to do".

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
Old 27th May 2008
Risen from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post
Interestingly enough, to my surprise, some cost studies, (not by MS) showed that Exchange might actually be cheaper in some cases. The problem with Zimbra (and another one, the name escapes me, Scaler, or something similar) is that they have yearly licensing, so that the cost gradually goes over the one time cost of Exchange. (The comparison was also based on getting RedHat with premium support, which adds something like $1300 annually to the equation.)
Exchange is not a one-time cost. You pay for each upgrade, you pay for each account, you pay for each Outlook install, and so on.

Nor do the fees for Zimbra go up overtime. Whatever you are quoted when you first purchase it, is the price you pay each renewal (ie, it's a constant cost).

And they now offer a perpetual license, where you pay once, and never have to pay again (unless you need more licenses, but then you still only pay whatever you paid the first time). The per-license cost does not increase after you purchase Zimbra.

If you don't buy Zimbra this year, or the next, but buy it sometime down the road, then the cost will most likely have increased. But once you buy it, your cost is locked in.

Old 27th May 2008
Risen from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by windependence View Post
I'll probably get flogged for this but take a look at Citadel if you want an easy one step, no hassle Collaboration suite. I like Zimbra as well but it doesn't run on *BSD. As a consultant, a good web interface (I didn't say GUI) is eesential. I Just don't have time to muck around remembering specific command when I can log into the web and fix it.
The problem with Citadel is that you can really tell it grew out of a BBS. It's not really a groupware system, but more like groupware features have been added to a BBS system. Plus the web interface is just plain ugly.

Same with OpenXchange, Scalix, and Merak Icewarp. Their web interfaces are just ugly, overly busy, and hard to use. At least compared to Zimbra 5. Maybe if we had started our testing with Scalix and the rest, we would have thought they were nice, but after first testing Zimbra for two months, with all its AJAXy goodness, the rest just don't compare. Plus, they just don't have the same connectivity options that Zimbra has (LDAP, IMAP, CalDAV, WebDAV, iCal, POP, SMTP, LMTP, Evolution Connector, Outlook Connector, SyncML, ActiveSync, BlackBerry Connector, etc). You can even use Kontact to access everything except your personal addressbook.

The only thing stopping us from going with Zimbra is the uncertainty over the whole "MS trying to buy Yahoo!" issue. Although their new perpetual license option does mitigate that risk a lot.

Old 27th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Phoenix, are you the person on Zimbra forums with the no longer testing zimbra in your member description. (As the location and intials are the same, I figure you probably are.) With errm, 64 posts to date, I think.
We're wondering about that too--at present, I have it installed but haven't done much with it save set up a few accounts with names like test1 test2.
Old 27th May 2008
Package Pilot

I will look into the above suites as well. You never know.
Risen from the ashes

Quote:
Phoenix, are you the person on Zimbra forums with the no longer testing zimbra in your member description. (As the location and intials are the same, I figure you probably are.) With errm, 64 posts to date, I think.
We're wondering about that too--at present, I have it installed but haven't done much with it save set up a few accounts with names like test1 test2.
Yeah, that's me (fcash). Someone beat me to the phoenix username. It gets really confusing on there to see a Zimbra employee posting as phoenix, as I keep wondering what I wrote.

We had a trial install of Zimbre NE for about 4 months, and just loved it. About halfway through the test, Yahoo! bought them. And as I was writing up the final recommendation for the higher-ups to go with it, MS offered to buy them. We've been testing other products (nothing really matches their functionality or openness) in the interim. We were just about to purchase 1600 licenses after MS walked away ... and then that idiot decided to try a proxy battle. So now we're in limbo again.

Looking at the alternatives, though, we're still seriously considering them. We're weighing the pros/cons of the perpetual license vs. regular license against our 5-year plan.

Old 28th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Y'know, I'm glad you wrote that, I thought I was just being silly being confused by that. The first time I saw it, I thought, Cool, Phoenix is here, then realized it wasn't you. Then, today I noticed the other sig and thought aha.
I haven't posted anything on there yet, I've just thrown it on a box my boss gave me to play with last Thursday. It seems as if it might be good for us.

On the other hand, we think my boss was interviewing someone today, so....
although we think it's because someone else might have gotten on his bad side, one never knows....
Old 28th May 2008
Shell Scout

Since we're on that subject Phoenix, Can I use Zimbra on an intranet? I had pretty much ruled it out because I figured you needed to be doing external mail but if I don't need to do that I might consider it.

I am Twincactus on the zimbra forums I knew you were on there but I had forgotten until I posted here. Thanks for the backup. I actually thought you worked for Zimbra.

-Tim
Old 28th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Heh, we'll have to have a daemonforums party on zimbra forums. (Though I'm still too new to it to have posted anythng.)
Old 28th May 2008
Shell Scout

Quote:
Heh, we'll have to have a daemonforums party on zimbra forums. (Though I'm still too new to it to have posted anythng.)
Jeez scottro, I got all excited that my post was answered.

-Tim
Old 29th May 2008
Risen from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by windependence View Post
Since we're on that subject Phoenix, Can I use Zimbra on an intranet? I had pretty much ruled it out because I figured you needed to be doing external mail but if I don't need to do that I might consider it.
Don't see why not. The only Internet access it needs is to be able to send messages out to the Internet or to receive messages from the Internet. If you just need internal mail, block outgoing port 25. Might confuse the users, though, as any mail they send to non-local addresses will be stuck in the deferred queue for X days and then bounced as non-deliverable.

Quote:
I actually thought you worked for Zimbra.
I've looked at their job postings, but everything is programmer-related, and I'm more a network/sysadmin guy. The most programming I do is shell scripts and (very simple, non-OOP) PHP/MySQL.

Old 29th May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkontos View Post
No you can't. Like you said you may run phpMyadmin on a different database but the host must use apache.
Hi, this is not correct, I'm running postfix admin on my webserver and my mail server is another system. You can set the conf file to connect to the remote mysql database, just make sure that you have network enabled for mysql on your mail server.

from the postfixadmin config file
Code:
$CONF['database_type'] = 'mysqli';
$CONF['database_host'] = 'ip-address of remote server';
$CONF['database_user'] = 'username';
$CONF['database_password'] = 'passwd';
$CONF['database_name'] = 'postfix';
$CONF['database_prefix'] = '';
Cheers
hamba
Old 29th May 2008
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamba View Post
You can set the conf file to connect to the remote mysql database, just make sure that you have network enabled for mysql on your mail server.
So then I'll need MySQL installed on the mail server?
Fdisk Soldier

yup, you can use mysql to manage your users and domains. Postfix works very well with mysql.
Old 3rd June 2008
New User

Wondering if Qmail is ancient now.
Old 8th June 2008
New User

I heard that Ironport http://www.ironport.com/ , which acquired by Cisco now is using FreeBSD and their solution for e-mail is very excellent. Does anybody know which MTA that they're using?

-woss-
Old 8th June 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunman4life View Post
So then I'll need MySQL installed on the mail server?
no you don't. when you configure the
Code:
virtual_*
directives from postfix main.cf you'll have to write in a file the mysql params like
Code:
# cat main.cf
virtual_mailbox_domains = proxy:mysql:/usr/local/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_domains_maps.cf
# cat mysql_virtual_domains_maps.cf
user = u
password = p
hosts = ip add or name of the host which the mysql db resides on
dbname = 
query =
so your web interface (i don't say GUI anymore thanks to windependence ) and mysql db can reside on a different machine.
this way you don't have to overload or open new security threats on your mail machine.

/v