Big problems 4.9->5.0 with softRAID
Im trying to make an upgrade to 4.9 -> 5.0 with softraid root filesystem and im having big problems.Anybody know how to do it ?¿?
Trying the upgrade with the CDrom, the bsd.rd loaded it hasn´t softraid support so it doesn´t detect the root Raid filesystem and it´s impossible to make the upgrade.
Im trying to compile the bsd kernel of 5.0 with softraid in other machine and then using this compiled kernel in the upgrade process following these steps, but im not sure if this will work.(obviously it´s not for an 3.7 version)
If we did this, we'd run into trouble when we reboot (#3), because the generic kernel does not include RAID support. I'm assuming that you are running your OpenBSD 3.6 RAID system... so here's what we need to do:
1. Follow the OpenBSD upgrade guide and STOP when you "Place install files in a "good" location."
2. Download the OpenBSD 3.7 kernel source
3. Perform the actions in part 2 ("Recompile RAID Into the Kernel") section 4 ("Configuiring the kernel") and 5 ("Compiling the kernel"). This will install the 3.7 kernel. Note: you will not need to perform the "Clean up after yourself" step... since we're not using /mnt to juggle space.
4. reboot on your RAID'ed 3.7 kernel
5. Continue following the OpenBSD upgrade guide with the step "Install new /etc/firmware files"
This will get your main RAID system onto OpenBSD 3.7, however your initial boot partitions (/dev/wd0a and /dev/wd1a) will still be running OpenBSD 3.6. If you are lazy, you can leave them alone. If you want to upgrade them, you can do the following:
1. mount the /dev/wd0a partition (foo# mount /dev/wd0a /mnt)
2. copy the 3.7 RAID kernel to the mounted partition (foo# cp -R /bsd/* /mnt/bsd/)
3. Follow the OpenBSD upgrade guide (skip the "Reboot on the new kernel" step. For step "Install new userland applications", change "cd /" to "cd /mnt")
4. unmount /dev/wd0a and repeat with /dev/wd1a
Anybody could help me ?? Thanks !!
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|RAIDframe -> Softraid||jggimi||OpenBSD General||12||3rd October 2011 12:16 AM|
|RAID1 rebuild for softraid||bsdplus||OpenBSD General||1||19th June 2010 03:17 PM|
|OpenBSD heads up - softraid metadata change||J65nko||News||0||26th March 2010 10:27 PM|
|softraid encryption||Sunnz||OpenBSD Security||6||24th September 2009 04:58 AM|
|SOFTRAID(4)||revzalot||OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading||3||27th July 2008 08:40 PM|