Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th June 2012
Administrator

Default OpenBSD forked to create Bitrig

From http://h-online.com/-1616954

Quote:
A group of developers have created "Bitrig", a new fork of the OpenBSD free BSD-based UNIX-like operating system. The developers say that they forked from OpenBSD because they "want to be a bit more loose when it comes to experimenting with features"; as a security-focused distribution, OpenBSD tends to be more conservative when adding new features.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th June 2012
bsdstudent

Yet another fork .. human condition
I hope this won't affect OpenBSD philosophy and developement .. we love and trust OpenBSD.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th June 2012
Spam Deminer

Any idea which humans are involved? Is it gossipy to be curious?
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th June 2012
bsdstudent

Hi thirdm ! It doesn't seem to be so
Quote:
Bitrig maintains a public IRC server for those willing to discuss our current and potential projects.
We hang out in channel #bitrig and handle all sorts of queries there.
https://www.bitrig.org/index.php?title=Main_Page
https://www.bitrig.org/index.php?title=Organization

If only these brains (and mirOS .. before) could concentrate on OpenBSD .. it would then doubtlessly become one of the cyberworld's wonders .. it is actually but would get far more better (more secure more satisfying more eveything)
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th June 2012
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdm View Post
Conformal Systems, a company that employs both some current and some former OpenBSD developers.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th June 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdm View Post
Theo responded this afternoon to a similar thread on misc@ today addressing much of this question:

http://marc.info/?t=133961305400003&r=1&w=2
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th June 2012
Tcpdump Spy

This *could* work out for OpenBSD, Bitrig could implement experimental stuff, and OpenBSD could take what it wants later if it's any good. This works pretty well for Fedora Core/RHEL.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th June 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
This *could* work out for OpenBSD....
Given the overt animosity between the remaining project developers & those exiled, any "hand-holding for world peace" ain't gonna happen anytime soon.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th June 2012
bsdstudent

I hope @Carpetsmoker's positive stance comes true.It's hard to determine whether a new fork could benefit the arch-project especially when it takes a different direction/policy/stance/philosophy (mirOS,dragonflyBSD,aerieBSD .. ?? or being self-reflexive : OpenBSD itself when it forked -not at will though as Theo confirmed- from NetBSD)
As far as OpenBSD Project is concerned .. forks are inevitably harmful as the project is not as big as let's say Fedora or FreeBSD (ie,Team members & working force).The worst day of some of us could be when one sees OpenBSD falling into stagnation or meeting continual stumbling blocks .. May this never happen ! I can't believe I'll stop being a dedicated user/enthusiast of OpenBSD.
Old 17th June 2012
Spam Deminer

Theo had a disagreement with the NetBSD developer team and left to fork OpenBSD.

OpenBSD is a great operating system which I use, along with other Unix-like operating systems, but at times he acts like my 10-year-old daughter! This is one such time.

OpenBSD does have a secure operating system in its base, however, as those developers who left have said, they want to pursue other technologies that Theo won't allow because it would/could lead to a vulnerability. Yet, looking at the US-CERT CVE:

3-months 3-years ALL
OpenBSD 0 13 170
FreeBSD 1 44 443
NetBSD 0 24 193
Solaris 14 320 808
AIX 4 49 304
Linux 85 827 3740
HP-UX 4 26 249

Although OpenBSD has the fewest vulnerabilities, it doesn't have technologies in the base system that other Unix-like systems provide. Comparing FreeBSD, NetBSD, AIX, HP-UX, and OpenBSD over the past 3 years, the fewer number of vulnerabilities in OpenBSD is statistically insignificant.
Old 18th June 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpatrick View Post
Yet, looking at the US-CERT CVE:

3-months 3-years ALL
OpenBSD 0 13 170
FreeBSD 1 44 443
NetBSD 0 24 193
Solaris 14 320 808
AIX 4 49 304
Linux 85 827 3740
HP-UX 4 26 249
Any link to site with this data?

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
Old 18th June 2012
Spam Deminer

http://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/search
Old 18th June 2012
Administrator

Thank You.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
Old 18th June 2012
bsdstudent

Competence,commitment,ethics,sense of group,spirit of togetherness ... all contribute to the immortalization of a project ..

Compare this :
(When a team put heart into what they are doing .. as a team & as individuals too )
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jySUpMqmzd4

To this :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj7pDNDuoJ0

No offense is meant to any brave heart .. it's just that we want a materialized dream to keep going on ..
Old 18th June 2012
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonfowl View Post
Competence,commitment,ethics,sense of group,spirit of togetherness ... all contribute to the immortalization of a project ..

Compare this :
(When a team put heart into what they are doing .. as a team & as individuals too )
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jySUpMqmzd4

To this :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj7pDNDuoJ0

No offense is meant to any brave heart .. it's just that we want a materialized dream to keep going on ..
So this is a bit off-topic, but this comparison is unfair at best.

You're comparing a professional band with 40 years experience, topnotch sound crew, and 40 hours a week to practice with an amateur band consisting of people who probably have day job, a few hours to practice a week, if they have time at all, and probably no sound crew to speak of.
Not to mention that live performances are always tricky to get right. There are many, *many* examples of fine albums with live recordings that sound like crap.
More importantly, do not mistake a lack of talent with a lack of passion.

In addition, I don't quite see how this related to OpenBSD and the Bitrig fork ... ?
bsdstudent

Hi Carpetsmoker !
Sorry to say that you got me wrong in that I was not comparing two bands but rather two states (performances regardless of actants)
Pink floyd Vs cover-maker // OpenBSD Vs Bitrig Fork is a mistaken conclusion .. Neither did I belittle the new band nor the new fork.
The comparison relates to the fork issue in ways .. working together is more beneficial than forking whenever one feels "different" .. this very notion of difference can irretrievably break things as it can shape them .. Gilmour was different from Waters .. yet the show went on .. everybody's experience/effort/contribution adds up to the overall team and project benefit .. look at FreeBSD for instance ... why is it thriving ? what would have become of NetBSD if it never missed Theo for instance ? Albert Einstein and his "theory of everything" , he lost contact with all quantum scientists .. and worked alone. Result : a half-life is lost in vain .. because of condescension .. or if not so .. the notion of difference when being badly applied to oneself as to others ..
Old 18th June 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonfowl View Post
The comparison relates to the fork issue in ways ..
daemonfowl, your comments are increasingly getting further away from the original topic. If you want to continue, start a new thread.
Old 18th June 2012
bsdstudent

lol , are you sure ??? too synthetic for ocicat ? I'm definitely hitting the core.
Anyway I stop here and thanks for the quote....
Old 19th June 2012
More noise than signal

@daemonfowl -- I think you should read the misc@ discussion. It appears that you believe this fork is genial, and over differing visions for the future. If so, then you misunderstand the political situation.

While I am not a fortune teller, it appears to me that there are low odds of any cooperation between these projects for the foreseeable future. I expect there would need to be a significant change in membership of both projects, first.
Old 19th June 2012
bsdstudent

Thank you!
Quote:
It was dishonest of them to not tell their co-developers that they were
creating vacuums in the development process.
That's unethical
Sir Theo , you belong already to the Golden Age .. few people do.