Just in case someone needs it, on my fresh NetBSD 6.1.2 (i386) install with 1GB memory, I experienced problems with running Emacs (installed from binary) which gave me segmentation fault (as already discussed somewhere on this forum). I followed the following recommendation:
.. and set stack size to 20000 in /etc/profile:
All fine, Emacs started launching. However, another program stopped to do, Firefox. It lead me to finding an interesting pattern: Firefox 'liked' lower stack size while Emacs was 'up for' a higher one. Consequently, if I set its value too low or too high one of the programs wouldn't run. At the end I found a value satisfactory for either program: ulimit -s 8000
, so now I have both of them running.
I hope this advice will be useful for those who might experience a similar problem.