DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th March 2014
Ninguem Ninguem is offline
Shell Scout
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 138
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Why am I even trying?

Before you answer...
I am homeless. I share my clothes, food, food stamps, computers, time, and such with others. I work for my money. I pay taxes. I am honest about what I earn. I do not screw people over. I volunteer at a soup kitchen because I feel that they deserve it for helping me with showering and such.
I help others when I can and I do not charge for my services. People give me computers to help others. I fix them up and give to those who need it.

It takes a greater effort for me to do things because my resources are limited but, they can be done.

What I have learned is:
1. The different parts of the Open Source community would rather bicker and complain in their individual areas than trying to work together.
2. Those with the means of helping usually don't want to because they would rather have things handed to them.
3. Most members do not realize that even someone as insignificant as me can give something worthwhile.


Many of you have lost touch with your humanity. Only a few people are responsible for accessibility technology, Vinux, braille-tty, OLPC, and such. These people started such because they actually cared and care about others.

What can be said for the remainder of you?

The truth is we have to work together in all aspects of life; but, the reality is that many of you care only for yourselves and no one else.
__________________
No signature
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th March 2014
ibara's Avatar
ibara ibara is online now
Shell Scout
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 117
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Ugh... I can't help myself but to answer threads like this. Call it a character flaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninguem View Post
Before you answer...
I am homeless. I share my clothes, food, food stamps, computers, time, and such with others. I work for my money. I pay taxes. I am honest about what I earn. I do not screw people over. I volunteer at a soup kitchen because I feel that they deserve it for helping me with showering and such.
I help others when I can and I do not charge for my services. People give me computers to help others. I fix them up and give to those who need it.
Great! So you're exactly the kind of person who has his heart in the right place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninguem View Post
It takes a greater effort for me to do things because my resources are limited but, they can be done.
Great! This has never been about how much one can do, but doing as much as one can/wants to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninguem View Post
What I have learned is:
1. The different parts of the Open Source community would rather bicker and complain in their individual areas than trying to work together.
Are there disagreements? Sure. Some of those disagreements stem from deeply help philosophical beliefs, for which there is no reconcilliation. That's fine. That's part of being human.

There's a lot more "working together" than you realize. That doesn't mean it's not happening. And it doesn't mean there aren't pushes to make more of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninguem View Post
2. Those with the means of helping usually don't want to because they would rather have things handed to them.
I don't consider these people part of the "Open Source community." The perpetual takers are irrelevant people and you learn to operate as if they don't exist. Because they don't.

But there are far fewer of those people than you may want to accept. Even the person on these forums who does nothing more than offer the occasional piece of advice is part of the "Open Source community" and is a net positive to said community. Even the person who tries and tries and never seems to get a patch accepted is part of the community. Eventually such a person finds their niche, whether it be in code or elsewhere. Hopefully in multiple places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninguem View Post
3. Most members do not realize that even someone as insignificant as me can give something worthwhile.
This sounds like an anecdote blown up to produce a strawman. Thank you for telling me how I think, I appreciate it. Really.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninguem View Post
Many of you have lost touch with your humanity. Only a few people are responsible for accessibility technology, Vinux, braille-tty, OLPC, and such. These people started such because they actually cared and care about others.
The OLPC is a horrifically poor example of the point you're trying to make. Even if we discount that one piece, you seem to have great contempt for anyone not working on projects that are personal to you.

This is how I'm going to respond to your condescention: you're welcome. I am privileged and honored to be a part of a team that lets others take that work and turn it into things I would have never imagined. That's an amazing privilege. But be aware that many of the things you care so much about would be impossible if not for others working at both lower and higher levels.

Don't you dare attempt to ascribe me, or anyone else, my motives. You are simply wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninguem View Post
What can be said for the remainder of you?
They're people, doing what people do. You ascription of this binary playing field, those who have retained their humanity and those who lost theirs, is puerile at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninguem View Post
The truth is we have to work together in all aspects of life; but, the reality is that many of you care only for yourselves and no one else.
Again, thank you for providing me my thoughts. I would otherwise be left to thinking all my work was actually done for the benefit of others, and that I got involved with Open Source software because I have a vested interest in leaving this world better than I found it. Clearly, you would not want me thinking that.

TL;DR - You are part of the problem. Thank you for making that public.
__________________
@bcallah on app.net
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th March 2014
Ninguem Ninguem is offline
Shell Scout
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 138
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibara View Post
Ugh... I can't help myself but to answer threads like this. Call it a character flaw.
And you are not homeless and struggling either. Put yourself in my position before you damn me with your sarcasm.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ibara View Post
This sounds like an anecdote blown up to produce a strawman. Thank you for telling me how I think, I appreciate it. Really.
Where in my original post did state "ibara thinks exactly this"? Nowhere.





Quote:
Originally Posted by ibara View Post
This is how I'm going to respond to your condescention: you're welcome. I am privileged and honored to be a part of a team that lets others take that work and turn it into things I would have never imagined. That's an amazing privilege. But be aware that many of the things you care so much about would be impossible if not for others working at both lower and higher levels.
I believe the term is "condescending attitude" and it is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibara View Post
Don't you dare attempt to ascribe me, or anyone else, my motives. You are simply wrong.
And you are wrong unless you wish to be on the playing field of life I am on. You speak volumes yet you are not willing to go through the same shit and struggle I do everyday.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ibara View Post
They're people, doing what people do. You ascription of this binary playing field, those who have retained their humanity and those who lost theirs, is puerile at best.
It is easy to belittle and talk down to those who have less than you. It takes no effort to condemn another human when he/she is down. Get your head out of your ass. You do not deal with what I do. You do not have to worry where you will sleep. You do not worry about whether you will work or eat. You do not worry if you can get medicine. You do not have to sleep in the freezing cold.

You talk a lot of shit for a man that doesn't have to struggle.

I live like a person in a third world country.

Try to put the same amount of effort as I do and see what you can accomplish.

Are you one of those that enjoy putting down those who struggle because it makes you feel better about yourself?
Do you enjoy condemning those who have less than you?


You don't understand what I posted and that is obvious from your reply; it's a reply of someone who hates people in my position.

Want to prove me wrong? How about living life from my perspective.

Throw in breathing problems and depression along with getting attacked and blackmailed.

Now, what where you saying?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ibara View Post
Again, thank you for providing me my thoughts. I would otherwise be left to thinking all my work was actually done for the benefit of others, and that I got involved with Open Source software because I have a vested interest in leaving this world better than I found it. Clearly, you would not want me thinking that.

TL;DR - You are part of the problem. Thank you for making that public.

As I said, you condemn those who have less than you.
__________________
No signature
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th March 2014
Ninguem Ninguem is offline
Shell Scout
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 138
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Unless you- that is any of you- have lived and struggled through poverty like I am doing- then do not even attempt to judge me; because, how can you understand what you have never experienced.

Tell me again how wrong I am for standing up for myself.

Let me know how many of you- besides ibara- think that I am a piece of shit because I am a poor person that decided to speak up.
__________________
No signature
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th March 2014
ibara's Avatar
ibara ibara is online now
Shell Scout
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 117
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

*sigh*

Not only did I not condemn you, you were unable to understand a word I said.

Carly Simon wrote a song about you.

I "hate" people like you so much I have spent my entire adult life below the poverty line, and literally work to fight to even the playing field, both economically and socially.

Hint, I'm not employed in any technology industry.

But yes, you are entirely correct.

I am done with you. You are not pathetic because you don't have money, you are pathetic because you don't have the humanity you claim others have lost.
__________________
@bcallah on app.net
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th March 2014
Ninguem Ninguem is offline
Shell Scout
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 138
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Just to let everyone know

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibara
I am. Because I have.
Idiot.

You have never been in my situation.
You do not know what it means to struggle.
An idiot is not able to comprehend.
I can comprehend that you have no understanding; because if you did, you would never have replied as such.

After you go through being shot at, blackmailed, attacked, dealing with bigotry from your family, abuse, being kidnapped, being jerked around by your government, molestation, being beat until your mind falls apart, then come back and tell me how wrong I am .
__________________
No signature
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th March 2014
ocicat ocicat is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,888
Thanked 190 Times in 160 Posts
Default

This behavior exhibited in this thread is not acceptable as outlined in the forum rules.

Do not do this again.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content copyright © 2007-2010, the authors
Daemon image copyright ©1988, Marshall Kirk McKusick