DHCP no link, cannot connect
Hi, I am having a difficult time getting my laptop to aquire a dhcp lease. During the initial install, I selected dhcp and it said no link so I skipped it thinking i'll come back later. Here is what I did so far:
1. Read openbsd FAQ chapter 6 and most of it was difficult to understand.
2. ifconfig to find my adapter which was re0
3. Create a hostname file in /etc called hostname.re0
4. I put in the line: dhcp nwid network_name wpakey password, and saved the file
5 ran the command sudo sh /etc/netstart re0
7. I received this error message: Inappropriate ioctl for device
8. re0: no link.....................sleeping
9. I then ran this cmd: ifconfig re0 nwid netowrk_name wpakey passphrase
10. same exact errors as 7 & 8
Here is my laptop specs: Toshiba Satellite A665, Intel I5, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 802.11 a/b/g/n 10/100
OpenBSD 5.4 AMD64iso installation
I suspect that I could be having a hardware compatability issue because my volume, mute, network connection, and DVD play button/leds don't work at all. I checked the laptops sticky, and I could not find any help in those links. I did a google search to see if anyone else had a simmilar problem but no real help. I am actually surprised how little info I have found on google regarding user support. Any tips or noticable mistakes in what I did?
this is the ifconfig info for the adapter
re0: flags=8049<up, BROADCAST, RUNNING, SIMPLEX, MULTICAST> mtu 1500
media: ethernet autoselect (none)
Last edited by Roydd85; 14th March 2014 at 11:31 AM.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|I can DHCP but after that...nada on the net||raindog308||OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading||9||4th October 2011 06:44 PM|
|isc dhcp server||queshaw||OpenBSD Packages and Ports||1||8th February 2011 11:09 AM|
|W2K DHCP Issue||DrJ||Other OS||4||25th May 2009 07:19 PM|
|obtain 2 ips via dhcp||dextro||FreeBSD General||2||6th February 2009 04:56 AM|
|kde .desktop file link doesn't act like a link when opening files||caesius||FreeBSD Ports and Packages||3||14th October 2008 07:35 AM|