DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th April 2014
New User

Default A question about bsd kernel and driver

I have an old hppa workstation install Openbsd on it,suppose
i want to use bktr driver on it,i see bktr is configured on some archs(amd64,i386,ppc) but not on hppa,can i use
the bktr driver line from amd64 or i386 in Generic kernel or custom kernel config?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th April 2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpabsdbeginner1 View Post
...i want to use bktr driver on it,i see bktr is configured on some archs(amd64,i386,ppc) but not on hppa,can i use
the bktr driver line from amd64 or i386 in Generic kernel or custom kernel config?
Welcome!

According to the bktr(4) manpage, you will need to add:
Code:
bktr0 at pci?
radio* at bktr?
...to a custom kernel configuration file, where the file has any name other than GENERIC or GENERIC.MP.

Why a unique filename? If for any chance you ever need to discuss compatibilty or functionality on the mailing lists, it will need to be very clear that this is not the standard GENERIC or GENERIC.MP configurations, but a custom kernel configuration. Developers have been known to simply ignore threads where it is not disclosed that the default kernel configuration has been altered.

I also cannot verify or guarantee that inclusion of this driver into a different platform will automatically work. In this case, you are pretty much on your own to verify & test.

If you are unfamiliar with building kernels, consult Section 5.3 of the project's FAQ. The release(8) manpage has other information worth reading as well.

Last edited by ocicat; 13th April 2014 at 09:04 PM. Reason: clarity
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th April 2014
More noise than signal

Hello, and welcome!

In order to support macppc back in 2003, endianness was revised for the driver. You may want to review the CVS logs for the driver (sys/dev/pci/bktr/*) if you have not already done so, and you might consider posting to either hppa@ or to tech@ regarding your development effort.

If you've not used the mailing lists before, tech@ is the place to post your patches for review/comment, while hppa@ would be the place to discuss PA-RISC architectural concerns. http://www.openbsd.org/mail.html
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th April 2014
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
Welcome!

According to the bktr(4) manpage, you will need to add:
Code:
bktr0 at pci?
radio* at bktr?
...to a custom kernel configuration file, where the file has any name other than GENERIC or GENERIC.MP.

Why a unique filename? If for any chance you ever need to discuss compatibilty or functionality on the mailing lists, it will need to be very clear that this is not the standard GENERIC or GENERIC.MP configurations, but a custom kernel configuration. Developers have been known to simply ignore threads where it is not disclosed that the default kernel configuration has been altered.

I also cannot verify or guarantee that inclusion of this driver into a different platform will automatically work. In this case, you are pretty much on your own to verify & test.

If you are unfamiliar with building kernels, consult of the project's FAQ. The release(8) manpage has other information worth reading as well.
Ok,i compile it now.
It boot without error,but the pci card from Germay
come here for testing the next week.

Tags
bktr, kernel