DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st May 2008
Package Pilot

Default SunFire V60x

Hey gang, I just bought a Sun SunFire V60x (http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/v60x/).

2 x 2.8GHz Intel Xeon
3GB DDR RAM
2x36GB 10k Ultra320 SCSI drives (one slot open)

Does anyone have one of these? I'm planning on dropping FreeBSD 7 (amd64) on this bad boy, that's the only reason I ask.

Haven't used the amd64 branch yet, though I did make good use of the sparc64 branch, so I don't suspect I'll have too many problems.

And with the deals I'm finding right now on Sun sparc hardware, I'll probably be making good use of the sparc64 branch for quite a while.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th June 2008
Package Pilot

Doh! Server arrived, tried to boot amd64, crash. Tried to boot i386, got farther but locked up. NetBSD i386 apparently can't see the raid controller (as the installer complains that there are no drives to install to). Don't quite know what the problem is, and don't have any reference points where the crash/lockup takes place right now (I'm too angry), but I will get that later.

I'm on my way to the store to pick up some 3.5" floppies so I can update the bios on this system. Hopefully that will resolve the problem.

I'm even angrier that I can't find any floppies... never mind that I haven't used them in at least 5 years.

I'll get back to you guys a bit later on the error/lockup. Just venting for right now
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th June 2008
Package Pilot

Alright, I figured it out.

First off, apparently these xeons that I have aren't 64 bit... Strange, but not a huge deal. Now that I'm thinking about it I disabled hyperthreading in the bios when I was trying to figure out the above problems, but something tells me that has nothing to do with it. To test that theory, after the i386 install of FreeBSD finishes, I'll boot it off the amd64 cd after re-enabling hyperthreading.

Back on topic, I tried just about every OS under the sun. FreeBSD i386 locked up after probing the raid controller. amd64 didn't boot at all. NetBSD 4.0 booted, dropped me to the "db>" prompt, where I typed continue, got excited that the installer came up, then realized why I was dropped to the debugger... no disks were found. Tried Solaris 10 - this one really pissed me off, because I got quite far into the install before the disk topic even came up (bad Solaris, bad). No disks were found on your system. Tried CentOS x86_64... that's when I was told flat out my processors were not 64 bit.

This really bothered me. No disks found, and FreeBSD locks up after probing the raid controller... hmm... I didn't intend to use raid on this system anyways. Pop the lid, yank the raid controller, hit the power button and cross my fingers. And that's where I am now... installing FreeBSD.

Ugh, what an evening.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th June 2008
Fdisk Soldier

I once had a firewire card that refused to let FreeBSD boot/install.

It was weird, but now that card is collecting dust in a box I lost. Kind of funny. And I don't mean "ha ha" funny.