DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Old 25th November 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako_Elite View Post
Also on the left side of the screen is that a Conky?
It's sysutils/gkrellm. GKrellM has been around for a very long time.
Old 25th November 2012
Port Guard

Thanks, everybody. Gkrellm just comes with one default skin/theme and it's not very nice looking. That's one of the glass skins from the collection at muhri.net. It comes default with several plugins in the OpenBSD package.
Old 25th November 2012
BSD_ROCKS

ocicat
Thanks for the info on gkrellm. Just installed it. I like it.
Old 25th November 2012
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
Its also easier to do so on FreeBSD as there is VirtualBox available (and I use many systems within these virtual machines), on OpenBSD You are left with QEMU option only.
This is the basic setup I use for my servers at home- load up freebsd 9.0, VBox, then install multiple OpenBSD virtual machines on them.

I do this because I like role separation- I can have two firewalls, two DNS/time/radius servers, a file server, and five to eight experimental servers all running on two physical machines; they all run OpenBSD.
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai-danno View Post
This is the basic setup I use for my servers at home- load up freebsd 9.0, VBox, then install multiple OpenBSD virtual machines on them.

I do this because I like role separation- I can have two firewalls, two DNS/time/radius servers, a file server, and five to eight experimental servers all running on two physical machines; they all run OpenBSD.
It would be probably even more fun when FreeBSD team with the help of NetApp will complete BHyVe

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
Old 27th November 2012
Spam Deminer

agreed! It may take awhile, but it looks good! Can't wait for OBSD images and AMD support
Administrator

Quote:
agreed! It may take awhile, but it looks good! Can't wait for OBSD images and AMD support
I know Theo's opinion on virtualization, but as BHyVe is BSD licensed maybe some day it will even find a way into the OpenBSD base

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
Old 27th November 2012
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:

I do not think that a firewall should EVER be anything but a physical machine.

A virtual always gets its network traffic from the host's network stack. If your firewall is a virtual, the firewall's physical host is not behind it.
Old 4th February 2014
got root?

I'm all in, having just switched over my ThinkPad T61 from Slackware to OpenBSD. I'm liking it a lot; a nice, clean, light, secure system from which to build on. I have a i386 desktop at work that I have switched from Debian to OpenBSD. I do still have another i386 desktop at work with Slackware on it, and will probably keep that.
Old 4th February 2014
VPN Cryptographer

I'm most of the way in. I dual boot Slackware with OpenBSD on two of my work stations. I love OpenBSD.
VPN Cryptographer

Formatted my slackware-current/openbsd dual boot last night. OpenBSD all the way.
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by girarde View Post
I do not think that a firewall should EVER be anything but a physical machine.

A virtual always gets its network traffic from the host's network stack. If your firewall is a virtual, the firewall's physical host is not behind it.
Another crack on vms: recently I saw a discussion claiming that virtualbox and some (non-enterprise?) versions of vmware don't pay real attention to fsync. I didn't fully understand the discussion but it sounded as if any OS on top of either effectively had file systems that were option async whatever their real mount options were. I don't have much use for virtual machines normally, but reading this made me all the more skeptical.
Old 6th February 2014
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitest View Post
Formatted my slackware-current/openbsd dual boot last night. OpenBSD all the way.

I use OpenBSD in all but one computing situation. I donate a modest amount regularly to the OpenBSD Foundation because I think that the project has given me so much and that I have a bit of an obligation to give back to it what I can. I use it on a HP a6 and a thinkpad T43 (laptop usage); a Beaglebone Black (little armv7 usage); and on an older eMac desktop. I run FreeBSD on a Rpi (armv6) due to the binary blob, but OpenBSD is my preferred OS for sure. I am thinking of buying a Soekris to replace a router in the next few months; it'll run OpenBSD, too. I am not quite all-in, but I am very much nearly all-the-way in