DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd August 2016
Fdisk Soldier

Default German umlauts with OpenBSD ?

Hello !

I have a question about using german umlauts with OpenBSD - IIRC it worked as it should with a older version.

The system is OpenBSD 5.9 amd64 unpatched (only for setup tries). German umlauts works at the tty's and also in XTerm under FVWM. If I type a text using vim without setting the encode options in vimrc everything works also as it should. If I view this file with more (the pager) the umlauts are shown as they should be. If I open this file in xombrero it ends with placeholders instead umlauts. Xombrero is able to show umlauts in normal websites but not in this local file (not in text and also not in HTML files).

If I set vim's encode options to UTF-8 typing umlauts doesn't work anymore. The file before was created with vim on OpenBSD and not copied from another system. If I chnange the locale to de_AT.UTF-8 it has the same effect as if I set vim's encoding options.

Keyboard :
Code:
$ more /etc/kbdtype
de
Locale :

Code:
$ locale
LANG=
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_ALL=
If I use in vim

Code:
Einträge INSTEAD OF Einträge
then xombrero displays the umlaut correct.

Has anyone a idea how to fix that ?
Thanks for answers.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd August 2016
New User

Try setting your locale to something more appropriate than "C", e.g.

Code:
LC_ALL=LC_ALL=de_DE.UTF-8
That ought to work. For what it's wortth, I use en_IE.UTF-8 and still get umlauts (and lots of other diacriticals) with no trouble, so it can be done.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd August 2016
Fdisk Soldier

Thanks for your fast answer.
Yes, I experienced in 5.8 and 5.9 current in 2015 / 2016 that it worked very good.

I had some time and played around, if I change the LANG and / or LC_ALL values, I am not longer able to type umlauts in vim and, got no changes in xombrero. I kept the default locale as shown before, created a new file and, viewed it using midori (with the default western 8859-1) and gedit. It worked so, the problem could be related to xombrero.

I will look at xombreros encoding settings, maybe it is that. At the end midori is also ok.

Edit : Solved with upgrading to -current from August 22 and setting LANG and LC_ALL in .profile.

Last edited by NaWi; 28th August 2016 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Solved my question.