DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like

Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like Any other flavour of BSD or UNIX that does not have a section of its own.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th January 2010
New User

Default MidnightBSD

I am thinking about switching from mint to a bsd distro. I hear that BSD unlike linux distros do not go out of date. The distro (or the bsd equivalent) i have been looking at is MidnightBSD because it can have enlightenment installed out of the box. This hasnt had a new release since 2008 though.

Is midnightBSD still up to date or is there a better bsd with enlightenment?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th January 2010
More noise than signal

I don't know where you "heard" about the timeliness of the BSDs, but all of them will require updating, in order to be both supported and secure.

MidnightBSD is a pre-packaged variant of FreeBSD. The "download" page has a nearly year-old "late breaking news" statement recommending rebuilding the OS (kernel, userland) from source code after install. It would seem to me that this defeats the purpose of a pre-packaged system, as this is far more complicated than installing Enlightenment on any of the major BSDs.

Since you are looking for prepackaged systems, perhaps you should choose one that has regular updates.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th January 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullassfreak View Post
Is midnightBSD still up to date or is there a better bsd with enlightenment?
"Better" is a relative word. "Better" also depends upon how the system will be used.

...but you seem like a smart guy. Take the time to study the documentation associated to the main three variations of *BSD:...and decide for yourself which member of the *BSD family best meets your needs. None have Enlightenment configured as part of their base systems, but smart people take the time to read & understand about the package systems available in each of the *BSD's as each contains Enlightenment. Once you have the base system installed, you can have Enlightenment installed within five minutes assuming you have a reasonable Internet connection, but studying the documentation first is necessary.

So be a really smart guy. Study the documentation. Make an informed decision. You will get more out of your system by making the effort.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th March 2010
New User

Thumbs up

You can use enlightenment on any BSD distribution.
It is present in every distro.But i don`t know how much experience you have on BSDs.
The most easiest and best for beginer is OpenBSD and NetBSD.
I will recomend OpenBSD if you are a starter.I am recommending due to its packages collection which is easy to find and stable.
The most Flexible is NetBSD.You can alter this according to your needs but you must have
some expert level.
If you want to Use BSD on "as it is" basis then Use FreeBSD 8 version and install all of your required packages online.Once ready i hope you will not need to change something.
And if you are a Nix Expert then use DragonFlyBSD.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th April 2010
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by faysal76 View Post
You can use enlightenment on any BSD distribution.
The most easiest and best for beginer is OpenBSD and NetBSD.
I will recomend OpenBSD if you are a starter.I am recommending due to its packages collection which is easy to find and stable.
This is new to me: I always thought OpenBSD was way more difficult ().
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th April 2010
Tcpdump Spy

"Difficult" is not an absolute concept. It depends both on personal preference & experience as well as what exactly you are trying to accomplish.

If you want to use flash 10 with OpenBSD then I guess this could be labeled as "difficult".
If you want to get your wireless working, then I would say this is very "easy" on OpenBSD.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th April 2010
Banned

I would try using Fluxbox on a BSD and see how you like it compared to Englightenment. I find the minimalism a great turn on because all this extra functionality is distracting that's why I use OpenBSD with Fluxbox.