Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Guides

Guides All Guides and HOWTO's.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th May 2015
Arp Constable

Default Simple Desktop for OpenBSD 5.7

Content moved to 6.2 thread
Attached Images
File Type: png screenshot.png (67.8 KB, 5329 views)
Attached Files
File Type: gz OpenBSD57_SimpleDE.tar.gz (512.1 KB, 316 views)

Last edited by shep; 15th March 2018 at 02:14 AM. Reason: corrected directory name in README
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th May 2015
Arp Constable

Content moved to 6.2 Release thread

Last edited by shep; 15th March 2018 at 02:15 AM.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th May 2015
Arp Constable

Content moved to 6.2 thread

Last edited by shep; 15th March 2018 at 02:15 AM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th July 2015
parrot

Hello I tried downloading this, and it down loaded ok, but when I run the tar command to unzip it, it says : gzip: stdin: Input/output error
there is no "readme" all it shows is the wallpaper dir ?
I can give some more detail if need ed.
thanks, from Garry
Edited: here is the complete details:
Code:
#  tar xvzf OpenBSD57_SimpleDE.tar.gz
OpenBSD57_SimpleDE
OpenBSD57_SimpleDE/wallpaper
OpenBSD57_SimpleDE/wallpaper/puflogv300X195.gif
gzip: stdin: Input/output error
OpenBSD57_SimpleDE/wallpaper/openbsd_grill.png
tar: End of archive volume 1 reached
thanks

Last edited by PapaParrot; 29th July 2015 at 07:37 PM.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th July 2015
Marveled user

How did you download the file ? http ot ftp ?

Maybe you should try to re-download the file, just to check that your file is not corrupted.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th July 2015
Spam Deminer

tar seems to think you have an archive split over multiple volumes. So most likely the download is corrupt or it's a partial archive - e.g. download interrupted.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th July 2015
parrot

Oh, ok, that makes sense, I know what happened now, I will try it again.
I think I thought it was finished down loading, and interupted it,...duhh!
Edit: ahh, and Thanks !

Last edited by PapaParrot; 29th July 2015 at 08:30 PM. Reason: to say thanks
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th July 2015
More noise than signal

While this problem may have been an operational error and the output may have confused you, this give me an opportunity to insert some well-meaning, related advice about third party information and third party software.

Information

Information about using OpenBSD you find on the Internet -- "how to" documents, blogs, and forums like this one -- are unofficial, and may contain information that is out-of-date, misleading, incomplete ... or wrong.

You can learn from third party sources, but please remember that they may not be correct. If you have questions about the information you find outside of the Project, in-the-wild, the authors should be contacted directly.

That includes here; this is an unofficial community of users who just try to help each other.

Software

The Ports/Packages system described in FAQ 15 is for third party software designed to be installed on OpenBSD. While the applications are not audited for security issues, the package creation steps allow each port to be tested to ensure security policies are adhered to during package creation, which includes a test installation.

The Ports/Package infrastructure ensures that installation/deinstallation of packages proceed correctly, and that dependency chains are integrated.

It is possible to find and use uncommitted ports -- there are many such posted to the ports@ mailing list and many can be found on development portals like github.com. But as they are ports designed for OpenBSD these can be tested for security policy issues during package creation. Installation and deinstallation of files can be properly managed. Dependencies can be properly tracked.

Software you find in-the-wild, and that does not have an OpenBSD port written for it -- cannot participate in the Ports/Packages system. This is any software that is not installed by pkg_add(1) and removed by pkg_delete(1). Such software does not have the protections of installation and dependency management nor does it have any test against security policy violation during the build and fake installation step that package builds have.

Last edited by jggimi; 29th July 2015 at 09:35 PM. Reason: clarified last paragraph. I can never just post and leave alone.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th July 2015
More noise than signal

I've just looked at what I posted and realize that it might be considered a slam against shep and all his hard work. That was not my intent, I was just posting generally about third party info and data, and considerations for the astute admin. It was a divergence from the thread's intent, and for that, I apologize.

Shep's tarball includes graphic files, REAMDEs and provisioning files such as .xml. Yes, it's software and documentation. But it is designed to be used with OpenBSD packages, and does not contain directly executed scripts or binaries.
Old 29th July 2015
Marveled user

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
I've just looked at what I posted and realize that it might be considered a slam against shep and all his hard work. That was not my intent(...)
Come on, shep is a long-time member of this forum, I'm pretty sure he knows you enough to understand this was not your objective.

Everybody here knows that's not your style...
Old 29th July 2015
parrot

Thanks, though, even though I am aware of the 3rd party issues, risks, etc, I do appreciate
that you mention that, others might not realize that, and think just because it is on the forum
means it is going to be use able, etc.
I am not positive I completely understand this:,
Quote:
You can learn from third party sources, but please remember that they may not be correct. If you have questions about the information you find outside of the Project, in-the-wild, the authors should be contacted directly.
That includes here; this is an unofficial community of users who just try to help each other.
So does this mean, I should not ask about it here ? Or are you saying that is included, assuming the author is around, or someone familiar and interested in the program , if I shouldn't be asking about it here , no problem.
---
Something seems to be going wrong when I downloaded it, I had downloaded while using
openbsd and "netsurf", then when I encountered the error in unziping it, and asked here, I tried a second download, made sure the download was complete, but still the same error.
So, I took a nap. Now, this time I downloaded it, but using Debian, and chromium browser, since I am pretty new to OpenBsd, and it is a very fresh install, I don't have anything besides what came with the install, and I successfully installed both "dillo" and "netsurf",..

Anyway, on the debian system, I am able to open the tar.gz file and view the contents, yes everything is there, including the readme file, (have not yet read it) , so anyway, it
appears something else is causing it to not unzip correctly, on my OpenBsd machine, which by the way, is only on a VM, (virtual box),
So any way :
Quote:
Shep's tarball includes graphic files, REAMDEs and provisioning files such as .xml. Yes, it's software and documentation. But it is designed to be used with OpenBSD packages, and does not contain directly executed scripts or binaries.
Now I do see all of those files, etc, it maybe, I still do not have some " OpenBSD package" that I need for it to work, not sure yet, after I read the read me, that may help me see what I need to do. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to post the :
Quote:
this give me an opportunity to insert some well-meaning, related advice about third party information and third party software.
It is good advice, I don't see or think that it is a "slam", against the software or program in any way, as you also mention , and in my case , it probably is a "operational error on my end, not probably, for some reason,
it is not unzipping correctly. anyway
Thanks, from garry, p.s.
Quote:
How did you download the file ? http ot ftp ?
I used http,
Old 29th July 2015
Arp Constable

I have debated putting the configuration files into user and root file sets so that they could be installed in the same manner as the installation file sets but felt that would diminish the learning experience.

For me, I use two xterms in the base fvwm window manager. $ less README in the first xterm and copy -> paste (after reviewing the commands) into the second xterm.

@jggimi - No need to appologize - no one IMHO should trust what they find on the internet at face value. Look, at the code, understand the commands you are running. I also would appreciate any feedback on omissions, bugs unclear instructions etc.
Old 30th July 2015
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryR View Post
So does this mean, I should not ask about it here ?
I was speaking generally, and not about your experience with shep's guide. Absolutely, ask here about it. And you were right to bring the problem here. I wasn't sufficiently articulate, and I should have started a separate thread, because my post wasn't related to your problem ... just how you handled it, which I perceived to be perfectly correct. You returned to the source for assistance.

We get a lot of new users who search relentlessly for "how to" docs, for provisioning recommendations, for knobs to twist, and for scripts and shortcuts ... and that's to be expected. However, they often neglect to ask the source when something is confusing, doesn't work as expected, and come here or go to the Project mailing lists when they should be asking the author to update, revise or support .... and really, that's what the first part of my post was about.

The second part was recommending that admins be mindful to inspect unofficial software before using it. And that may just be because there are a lot of software tools for Unix-like systems that recommend install by something like this:

Code:
# bash < (curl -s http://our.wonderful.website/downloads/install.sh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
I have debated putting the configuration files into user and root file sets so that they could be installed in the same manner as the installation file sets but felt that would diminish the learning experience.
Understood.
Quote:
...I also would appreciate any feedback on omissions, bugs unclear instructions etc.
I'll take a look, but it won't be for some weeks to come.

Last edited by jggimi; 30th July 2015 at 12:47 AM. Reason: removed link to non-working example url, and typo, and thinko
Old 30th July 2015
parrot

Not sure what went wrong with the first downloads, maybe I should have just used the ftp, and not the browser, anyway, the one I downloaded using my debian hd, looked good, and I read the "README", I copied the "OpenBSD57_SimpleDE.tar.gz" entire, to my usbstick,
from there I copied it to my /home dir on openbsd, it unzipped fine.
I am using 2 xterms as suggested,
Quote:
I recommend that the installation be accomplish using two xterms in the
default fvwm2.4 window manager. One terminal displaying and copying
commands from this README and the second xterm to paste the commands for
execution.
just now , just waiting for all the packages to finish installing,
Quote:
The next steps configure system resources and need to be performed as root.
It is best to wait for package installation to complete before running these
I will let you know how it goes, The Readme, is clear, easy enough to follow.
Thanks
Old 30th July 2015
parrot

Default Typo in the README

It is still installing packages, but coming along nicely.
I found a typo, in the readme,
Line 140 (on my editor)
Code:
$ cp ~/OpenBSD57_SimpleD57/SimpleDE57_local_configs/xsession ~/.xsession
The directory name, "OpenBSD57_SimpleD57" should be "OpenBSD57_SimpleDE"
Had me confused there for a while, couldn't figure out why it was saying "cannot find file" and "does not exist"
Bad news, for me though, now, it just reached a point installing the packages, and I should of checked that ahead of time, but all the package files would not fit, on the VM drive I made, so I need to make a bigger one,
Old 30th July 2015
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryR View Post
It is still installing packages, but coming along nicely.
I found a typo, in the readme,
Line 140 (on my editor)
Code:
$ cp ~/OpenBSD57_SimpleD57/SimpleDE57_local_configs/xsession ~/.xsession
The directory name, "OpenBSD57_SimpleD57" should be "OpenBSD57_SimpleDE"
Thanks - Corrected and revision uploaded to forums

Edit2: Fixed missing Openup menu entry.

Last edited by shep; 2nd August 2015 at 02:41 AM.
Old 30th July 2015
parrot

I am finding the program useful, very educational, it is interesting how you did that.
Thanks for making it available, and that is a big plus, when the actual author is active
and available , for questions or feed back. thanks