DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Guides

Guides All Guides and HOWTO's.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th May 2014
Arp Constable

Default Simple Desktop for OpenBSD 5.5

An Updated thread for OpenBSD 5.8 is here

**** This Base Version of OpenBSD utilized in this HowTo is no longer supported upstream ****
**** The base install file will be archived here. Other content will be ****
**** MIgrated in the interest of Avoiding Redundancy and Conserving Disk Space ****

The archived install file is below:

OpenBSD55_SimpleDE.tar.gz

If you find this to be of use and a time saver, please consider supporting the OpenBSD project.

Last edited by shep; 12th November 2015 at 04:05 PM. Reason: removed unsupported, redundant content
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th May 2014
Marveled user

Good job.
Personally, I would have added VLC.

And also Apache, PHP and PostgreSQL client/server, but this wouldn't be a simple desktop.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th May 2014
OpenBSD language porter

I have no idea why people choose Openbox over Fluxbox. Fluxbox is saner to config (nearly plaintext!), better licensed, has much fewer dependencies, and actually has its own bar so you don't need to add yet another package on top (i.e. wbar/tint to openbox). And with a good theme, it's a pleasure on the eyes (I use the MurrinaFlux theme collection).

I second the addition of VLC. For those who like streaming video, like twitch.tv and the like, livestreamer (and livestreamer-curses): livestreamer will work with both mplayer and VLC.

Also, Xfe for those looking for a lightweight graphical file manager.

Pidgin?

You've also forgotten games! There's so many great games in the ports collection!

And I much prefer Thunderbird to Sylpheed, if only because I'm too lazy to learn something else.

(Full disclosure: I am the OpenBSD port maintainer of Fluxbox, livestreamer{,-curses}, and Xfe. This post reflects my workflow, scientifically proven to be awesome from many years of use )

Last edited by ibara; 7th May 2014 at 03:36 AM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th May 2014
Arp Constable

My intent was to provide a framework that could be easily altered either during installation or post-installation. I personally use mutt/abook, mplayer without a front end, gvim and midnight commander.

I also like VLC but when went with gnome-mplayer to avoid pulling in the qt4 libs.

As far as Openbox vs Fluxbox there were several reasons I went with Openbox
For OpenBox the default local configuration file is in ~/.config and I was trying to centralize configuration files as much as possible. Also Openbox is utilzed in CrunchBang, ArchBang, LXDE and is the preferred window manager for the RazorQt project. Simply put, the chances of being able to import code from these projects into SimpleDE seemed higher.

Xfe is nice but it pulls in many dependencies, the audacious media player comes to mind. Default apps are easily set in ~/.config/mc/ini.

You can just edit SimpleDE55_pkglist.txt and substitute vlc for gnome-mplayer, thunderbird for sylpheed and xfe for mc prior to running pkg_add -l SimpleDE55_pkglist.txt

Likewise, the menu was constructed with at least one entry in each of the FreeDesktop categories to more or less serve as a place holder. I considered adding menumaker as a menu launched shell script but have not gotten around to it yet.

Last edited by shep; 4th June 2014 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Added Openbox vs Fluxbox
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th June 2014
Shell Scout

A screenshot will be welcome
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th June 2014
Arp Constable

Quote:
A screenshot will be welcome
The screenshot is unchanged from SimpleDE 5.4.

In that same thread, there are some hints on modifying the background colors and customizing the dock. If you wish to use simple compositing,

I can also supply an OpenBSD 5.5 wallpaper and a modified ~/.config/openbox/autostart.

graphics/feh will need to be added if you want the custom wallpaper.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th July 2014
Port Guard

Very neat. I will give it a try when I get home
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th July 2014
bloke

The .Xdefaults has the browser set as xombrero. Thanks shep, because of this I dived into OpenBSD
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th July 2014
Arp Constable

URxvt*urlLauncher: xombrero ----> URxvt*urlLauncher: firefox-esr

Thanks

Tags
openbsd 5.5 simple desktop