DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th March 2010
New User

Default Dualboot system, what filesystem?

Good day!

I am a medical student and found out, I need a new computer which makes me focus to work instead of time-wasting-things

Hence, I decided to use a FreeBSD system. (have been using BSD for servers in the past, so no problem here)

But... one of the things I need/'d like to do is to convert AVI and Matroska videofiles to a DVD format. I have used convertxtodvd in the past and could not find a better program yet, that's why I need to keep at least a small windows installation.

So, what filesystem should I pick? What's better, the UFS-drivers for Windows XP? Or the fusefs for FreeBSD? Latter one supports write-access and it makes me thing it's the better way to go. So I'd set up a 50G for FreeBSD, 50G for windows and the remaining 1,4T für NTFS data. Or is there a better way to go?

Cheers!
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th March 2010
Administrator

If the video files don't exceed the 4GB maximum file size limit (4,294,967,295), you could use the FAT32 file system for the data you want XP to share with FreeBSD.

You stll could install XP itself on a NTFS partition.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th March 2010
Administrator

@The_Anteater

You could also use NTFS over fuse from ports/packages, You will get RW support by that and do not have to worry about 4GB file limit.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th March 2010
New User

Yes, I should probably stick to NTFS. It's stable enough and is the easiest way.

J65nko, NOW it's highly unlikely to run into the 4G problem. But when I set up my current machine three years, who thought a 300G hard disk would ever become too small

Anyway, just to make sure: Desktop machine which needs to convert avi and mks to DVD, Office suite, browsing, email, digital imaging, no games no fun stuff.

FreeBSD or stick with XP?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th March 2010
New User

Oh well...

Thank you for your support. But for the I don't remember how many'th time I wasted another sunday afternoon to find out, BSD is just not for my desktop.

PCBSD won't even boot the installer, FBSD 8.0 does install but with Xorg not working properly, nvidia driver give my a blurry desktop and a juicy headache for the rest of the day, and and and and.

I will, or at least plan to install a clean XP, Office, Firefox and Opera, VLC, BurnAware and ConvertX, create an image and when the installation gets crippled again, just a fresh install. Seems to be the way to go.