DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th May 2008
Port Guard

Talking FreeBSD the truth

Hello
I have one question to U. I'am woundeing about the FreeBSD. I heard that this system is one of the diffficultist and it is like gentto and Slackware together. Is it true. I'm asking U because I wanto to start using FreeBSD but I'm not a very,very good informatic and i haven't got any experience about linux. So I have any chanse to understand FreeBSD and learn?. Now I'm windows user but i am serching for better system and when I was a child i thought "Some day that system will be system which i will be using". But is my dream real. I like computers(computers not games ) but if it is really so hard so I won't have any chanse or even hope to be a happy FreeBSD user. What do U think about it?I can also add thet i don't know any person which is using linux or BSD. So I only am searching in google and in forums and if I have any problem my only hope are people like U who are good and helpful(btw anyone can get help from this forum or is it forum only for some user or this is forum for concretely group of users . So this is all i suppose I want to tell U. or ask
Greetings
Arthur
Sorry for my mistakes but I came from poland and i don't know english perfect.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th May 2008
Package Pilot

It depends on what you would consider "hard." I tinkered around only a tad bit in Linux, and always thought "Hmm... that's interesting. But it looks like crap (or it doesn't even work), so I'll go back to Windows." The first *NIX I actually used on a regular basis was FreeBSD. Around that same time I started to use Linux a bit more, and today it's strictly FreeBSD. There are a few Linux distros that I'll always like and have a general respect for, but I honestly can't see myself using anything but FreeBSD (well that and Mac OS X on my laptop). And of course Windows at work .
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th May 2008
Port Guard

By word hard i understand that BSD have only documentation and it is very hard to get some help from forum. And U must very very good event to think about it cause configuration is so hard that if U don't have large knowledge U don't have any chance enent to try to use it. So this is true. I have to forget about FreeBSD?
Greetings
Arthur
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th May 2008
Shell Scout

Questions on a forum are always allowed. But beware asking questions that are obviously answered in the handbook
Part of the forum rules:
Quote:
Feel free to ask any questions you want, but please do your homework.
  • Read the FAQ/Handbook.
  • Read the manpages.
  • Read the stickies (If any).
  • Search the internet, especially the maillist archives.
  • Describe your problem clearly.
  • Post the (full) error message (if any).
  • Post any information that might be useful, such as dmesg, configuration files, etc.
Do your homework and you won't get bitten by the community.

As anomie wrote above, try PC- or DesktopBSD. They are both very user friendly.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th May 2008
Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by latorion
I'm not a very,very good informatic and i haven't got any experience about linux.
In your case I would recommend trying PC-BSD or DesktopBSD. Google can lead you there.

Quote:
Sorry for my mistakes but I came from poland and i don't know english perfect.
That is ok, but you might seek out some mailing lists or forums that communicate in your native language.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th May 2008
Port Guard

I heard that this system is one of the diffficultist and it is like gentto and Slackware together. Is it true. NO

So I have any chanse to understand FreeBSD and learn?

YES. But , I think, it depends from the time you persist on it. Just a bit ... will not take so long.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th May 2008
Arp Constable

When I started, I had absolutely no Unix/Linux/BSD experience and hadn't touched a CLI in centuries. I've never had a serious problem using FreeBSD or the NetBSD, OpenBSD, Debian, Slackware, etc systems I've used after starting with BSD ;-).

I do however attribute most of my progress in computers to my abilities at reading comprehension :\.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th May 2008
Shell Scout

The online FreeBSD handbook will help you get started. Once you install FreeBSD, I would suggest learning some basic unix commands right away and learn how to use the Vi editor. At first, I found Vi a pain but after learning it, it's an awesome tool. After that, you can start administering your FreeBSD machine and that's when the fun starts. Most of all just have fun while learning it. If you get stuck, tons of resources around the net. Good luck.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th May 2008
Port Guard

Years ago I started from Handbook. I dare to say that for first one-two years it will be enough for you. All you need is to
1) understand english
2) the interest in topic
3) patience
4) try ideas or get assignments from your boss
5) read that Handbook all!

Another very and _really_ well-written book is from Micheal Lucas "Absolute FreeBSD 2nd edition". If you have more or less serious intentions to work or play with, that book is worth every cent you pay. I bought that book and I like the style, order of material and good presentation abilities presented by author. What makes even more ... this book is very practical oriented. You can get things running quite fast.

Alors, Handbook + "that book from Lucas" will be enough for you. Don't forget to communicate with people!
Old 16th May 2008
New User

FreeBSD is really hard but intersting。

Spending time on it is also necessary。
Old 16th May 2008
Package Pilot

When I started with FreeBSD I only had a couple months of Linux under my belt (even that was only Mandrake). I had come from Windows/Mac GUI based OS's and the whole new filesystem and command prompt was a little bit of a hump to go over, but once I was on the other side, I fully appreciated it and still do to this day. I have been running FreeBSD for 8 years now and am glad I do!
Old 17th May 2008
New User

If you are just starting with FreeBSD and Unix I would reccomend DesktopBSD or PCBSD, they both idead
Old 17th May 2008
Package Pilot

I remember when I first started with FreeBSD, I was impressed with the wealth of documentation on the system. From the handbook to the man pages, it's all there when you need it. And if all else fails, Google is a sysadmin's best friend!
Port Guard

Yes the FreeBSD have rally great documentation. But I think sorry I'm shoure that i will have problems which weren't mention in documentation. Today I will download FreeBSD and start trying. But if I have a problem or question which I cennot find answer in google i may ask here?
Greetings
Arthur
Old 17th May 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by latorion View Post
But if I have a problem or question which I cennot find answer in google i may ask here?
Of course you can, and we are more than happy to assist you. Thats is what this site about, BSD help oriented.

Just remember to do your own research beforehand, please, only ask for help if you get stuck.
Fdisk Soldier

Many of us have lives, but I don't Always here to answer questions!

And being stuck does include not knowing where to go for the answers . Google can point you to a lot of good places but like everything Google lists, it'll take time to differentiate the good sources from the just plain awful sources.

Not to mention that with a rich and diverse operating system like FreeBSD, you have articles, webpages, and documentation going back over a decade. An old source isn't always useful to the contemporary versions (although with BSD it often still is useful )
Old 17th May 2008
Port Guard

I have a frind of mine ... real FreeBSD guru. In the begining he make me fan of freebsd, and actually helped me a lot with some real tasks, that I had to do.
When I began I didnt had any experience with linux or any unux. My friend helped me .. but after some time he started to answer me with "read the man" , or "see the handbook" ... bla bla
And I started to read, and actually I feel much better when I do something without asking him. It is the right way - FreeBSD is powerfull, but it needs a lot of reading and some patience.
And now after a few years, I still fill like noob about so many tasks that may be done with freebsd. But I think I have understood the main concepts, and now it is not so hard to do what I need with freebsd.
Old 17th May 2008
Port Guard

I am aware of that my way to FreeBSD will be hard and long but i want to try and this is the point. U have friend who know this system. But i don't have any friedns so in this battle I will be alone. My friedns are laughing at me because they are using windows and in their system everythink works great and in my Linux or soon FreeBSD i am constantly something configuring or fixing. By despite of it I will try FreeBSD. Mayby i can make it.
Greetings
Arthur
Old 17th May 2008
Arp Constable

I have met 1 or 2 people in this entire city that know what FreeBSD is, and one more that knows what Linux is...

When it comes to the forums, I click 'new posts' and selectively read the results and try to contribute when I can & have time.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 17th May 2008
Kienja

Quote:
I heard that this system is one of the diffficultist and it is like gentto and Slackware together.
You need better sources of information. I came from Gentoo to FreeBSD. They have similar aspects, but their similarities go no further than that. Gentoo is like a raging war compared to FreeBSD. That is, FreeBSD is easier to use and, for me, it makes more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecer
FreeBSD is really hard but intersting
I completely disagree. It is indeed interesting, but I could not call it "very hard."

Quote:
btw anyone can get help from this forum or is it forum only for some user or this is forum for concretely group of users
We live to serve. This forum is not for a specific group of users. It is for anyone who uses *BSD.

Quote:
U have friend who know this system. But i don't have any friedns so in this battle I will be alone.
I have never met, in person, someone who uses FreeBSD. Even still, I am doing very well with it.

Quote:
My friedns are laughing at me because they are using windows and in their system everythink works great and in my Linux or soon FreeBSD i am constantly something configuring or fixing.
Ha ha! Yeah... Maybe your friends think everything is working great. Your friends' thoughts and reality are widely separated. You can have a FreeBSD system that runs as smoothly as you want if you just keep with it and learn everything you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcarada
If you are just starting with FreeBSD and Unix I would reccomend DesktopBSD or PCBSD
Try FreeBSD first. If it overwhelms you, then you could look at PC-BSD or Desktop BSD. Those two are built on top of FreeBSD, so they work in essentially the same way; however, they have additional usability features for new users who are not keen on learning a new operating system.

Quote:
By despite of it I will try FreeBSD. Mayby i can make it.
Yes, you can make it. No worries. Here is my one suggestion:
Use a spell checker. Even if your English is not very good, please at least try to make your posts as readable as possible by using a spell checker. An English spell checker is easy to get from anywhere in the world. Try Open Office and install the English language package. Or, you could use Firefox, which allows spell checking from within the browser. Your English is not bad, just take a few seconds to use a spell checker before posting.

To get started: Installing FreeBSD (Though I suppose you have all ready found this)