DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th July 2012
bsdstudent

Default post-upgrade dealing with old libraries ..

Hi !

I'd be thankful to anyone who'll make an attempt to clearify this to me :

0- The difference between /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib

1- Sometimes after an upgrade I meet with issues like 'bad major' .. no packages or ports are installed yet and /var/db/pkg is all empty ..
what's the way to deal with those old libraries ? remove them ? where from ?

Thanks all !
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th July 2012
Shell Scout

Check hier(7) and intro(3).
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th July 2012
bsdstudent

Thanks denta !

Last edited by daemonfowl; 30th July 2012 at 12:56 AM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th July 2012
More noise than signal

Quote:
...Sometimes after an upgrade I meet with issues like 'bad major' .. no packages or ports are installed yet and /var/db/pkg is all empty ..
I could certainly understand this happening during pkg_add if your package repository is not exactly in sync with your particular -current. You might see this regarding libraries in /usr/X11R6/lib if you are using snapshots as those will not always include rebuilds of xenocara if there were no source changes to it.

You should review the error messages. If they occur when executing programs in /usr/bin or /usr/sbin or /usr/libexec or /usr/X11R6/bin:
  • If these are for libraries in /usr/local/lib, then you are mistaken and you are not running built-in software. OpenBSD does not install anything in /usr/local/lib.
  • If these are for libraries in /usr/X11R6/lib and you are using snapshots, await the next snapshot which has updated xenocara filesets.
  • If these are for libraries in /usr/X11R6/lib and you are building -current from source, you have done something wrong and should review your procedures.
  • If these are for libraries in /usr/lib, it is likely you have a procedural problem in how you upgrade -- this should not occur.
If you are executing programs in /usr/local/bin or /usr/local/sbin or /usr/local/libexec --
  • You have third party software installed, and you have a sync issue.

Last edited by jggimi; 30th July 2012 at 12:37 PM. Reason: typo
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th July 2012
bsdstudent

Thank you jggimi !
I didn't build from source .. just upgraded from 5.1 -current to 5.2 -current.
When a sync issue occurs .. what's the next step to do ?
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th July 2012
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonfowl View Post
When a sync issue occurs .. what's the next step to do ?
  1. Read the error message. Do you understand it?
  2. Determine which library is effected.
  3. Determine what program you were using that produced it.
  4. Follow the guidance I just posted above.
If you do not understand the message, or you are unable to determine which library is effected, or you do not know what program you were using:
  • Post the message in its entirety.
  • Tell us what you were doing at the time the message was produced.
  • Tell us where you saw the message -- on the console, in a particular log file, etc.
----

I have mentioned, in a number of your threads, that in order to use -current, the OpenBSD user is expected to be able to be able to keep third party programs in sync. Either you are having trouble upgrading -current, or you are having trouble with third party software sync. Perhaps you would have less trouble operating -release+errata or -stable instead of -current?

You have also been informed, more than once, that when upgrading you should not need to use pkg_delete; there is no reason to remove third party software -- OS upgrades do not remove old libraries third party software may depend upon. It appears you have not taken this advice and are still unnecessarily removing third party software as part of your upgrade procedure.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th July 2012
bsdstudent

Quote:
Perhaps you would have less trouble operating -release+errata or -stable instead of -current?
I'll never consider this .. new packages tempt my patience and OpenBSD's evolving .......... Midnight Express .. "Necessairement il ne faut jamais desesperer " .. Billy Hays seems to whisper to a newbie .. Greece is Frontier's close :-)
Noted .. Sir jggimi. Thanks !!
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th July 2012
More noise than signal

Quote:
I'll never consider this ..
Then you must either learn to manage your -current environments, or you will continue to run systems which are either improperly configured or broken.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th July 2012
More noise than signal

Posting to add:

I don't know if your system(s) are actually mis-configured or broken. As usual, I don't have enough information -- and I'm just not going to ask any longer -- asking you two thousand times is enough.

For all I know, you might just be seeing normal library sync failure messages during pkg_add. If that's the case, there's nothing broken -- you will just not be able to install the requested package(s) until you build and install/update the affected component(s).

This requires the same skills that I mentioned already, above, and in many other threads of yours:
  • You must be able to read and understand the message(s)
  • You must be able to determine what components are out-of-sync
  • You must be able to manually build and install/update those components

Last edited by jggimi; 30th July 2012 at 04:48 PM. Reason: clarity