DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th June 2012
New User

Default No boot w/o video card

I built a lightweight web/twiki server using the ECS IC780M-A2 motherboard (AM3 socket - which has no on-board graphics) and successfully installed Open-BSD 5.1; Had no problem to remote login from other machines on the network.

Then I removed the PCI Express graphics card (did not need it as this will be a remote server) and restarted the machine -- but no apparent boot up. (Hard to diagnose, of course with no graphics, but can't remotely log-in)

It appears the machine is looking for a device in Slot 1 (which I assume is the graphics card slot. Put the video card back in, and "Bob's your uncle."

I've contacted ECS about this (with little hope of a useful response) but can't be sure if this is a hardware issue or is specific to Open BSD. I really don't want to leave the card in.

Any advice?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th June 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedb View Post
I really don't want to leave the card in.
I don't believe you have a choice, as this is a limitation of the x86 legacy. The BIOS is looking for a complete array of peripherals to decide that it is healthy enough to boot. My understanding is that video on the x86 platform is required. So not only is it a hardware problem, but it is a hardware problem by design.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th June 2012
New User

Default no boot w/o video card

As an experiment I put an older PCI video card in one of the PCI slots but apparently this is not acceptable either ... I guess I have done this with other motherboards but they had a built in video graphics. This one did not and it when I ordered it I noticed that but did not think of the consequences.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th June 2012
Risen from the ashes

Install the PCIe graphics card and the PCI graphics card. Connect monitor to PCIe card.

Boot into the BIOS. Find the section that covers the graphics card "order of search". Change it to PCI. Shutdown the box.

Move monitor cable to PCI card. Boot. If everything shows up correctly, remove the PCIe card.

You can't boot non-enterprise/non-server motherboards without some kind of video console.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th June 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
You can't boot non-enterprise/non-server motherboards without some kind of video console.
This is an important distinction I did not make in my initial replies. I should have. Thanks, phoenix for the correction.