DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th August 2010
Shell Scout

Default KDE4 on 8.1-release, unbelievably slow

I formatted my laptop that previously ran 7.2-release and installed 8.1-release. I installed KDE4 on this laptop and it is absurdly slow. Often when running nothing more than KDE4 with a single konqueror window I will see two "kdeinit" processes that together take over 50% of CPU. The KDE menu only works after the system has been up for 5 minutes or more, and then it isn't exactly fast.

KDE also gives an error about my sound card; it identifies a card but says it is not plugged in or the driver is not loaded (though xmms works fine).

At this point I'm not even sure where to begin. I installed KDE from packages (primarily because it takes forever to compile for ports on my P4).
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th August 2010
Shell Scout

I'd like to add that X is loading the correct video driver, as seen in XOrg.0.log. I have of course seen how miserable life in XOrg can be with only the VGA or VESA driver...
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th August 2010
Risen from the ashes

You may want to go through the System Settings and disable all the background services (like Nepomuk/Indexing) that you won't be using. Most likely, as this is a new install, it's busily indexing all your files. If you've loaded Amarok, that will also be indexing all your media files.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.