DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Old 9th October 2017
More noise than signal

You've been directed to the "graphic" regarding OpenBSD development in the FAQ several times. Here it is again:
Code:
Graphically, the development of these flavors looks something like this:
       .------o-----------o----X                    5.9 Stable
       |      .           .
       |      .    .------o---------o----X          6.0 Stable
       |      .    |      .         .
       |      .    |      .    .----o----------o--> 6.1 Stable
       |      .    |      .    |    .          .
       |      .    |      .    |    .    .-----o--> 6.2 Stable
       |      .    |      .    |    .    |     .
       |      .    |      .    |    .    |     .
 -->5.9Rel----->6.0Rel----->6.1Rel----->6.2Rel----> Current

Time --->
The bottom row is -current. Note the release numbers along the -current timeline.

As discussed previously in this thread:
  • -current is the development branch.
  • -releases are developed in -current.
  • snapshots are made available from time to time. They are "snapshots" of a point in time of -current.
  • The snapshot that became -release today was created last week, some time before you installed the October 3 snapshot.
  • Your -current system is newer than the -release published today.
  • The -release published today will never change. Patches will be made available for break/fix until 6.4 is released in about a year.
Old 9th October 2017
Always learning

So kindly confirm is this what I should be downloading ??

https://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/...4/install62.fs

Last edited by bsd007; 9th October 2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 9th October 2017
More noise than signal

That is a correct file for OpenBSD 6.2-release/amd64 - specifically it is a disk drive image for a complete OS installation without a network connection.
  1. Choose a mirror close to you. It will be much faster, and put far less demand on the primary server in Canada, both for the OS and for any third party packages you install.
  2. If your existing RAMDISK kernel can reach your network, you do not need to download the full OS installation media. You don't even need to download any installation media at all. You need only to download the -release ramdisk kernel (bsd.rd), move it into your root directory and select it when you boot with boot> bsd.rd

Last edited by jggimi; 9th October 2017 at 04:01 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 9th October 2017
Always learning

Understood. I just want to download a copy and keep it for later use. Now I need to figure out how to burn the fs image to usb flash drive

http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=10417
Old 9th October 2017
Always learning

Installation is finished but I have a minor issue

http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=10422
Old 12th October 2017
Always learning

Now with 6.2 stable installed I am still not getting anything when I do
Code:
doas syspatch

Same when I do
Code:
pkg_add -u
Is this normal ? Just feeling a bit nervous.
Old 12th October 2017
Spam Deminer

That's notmal for release. Stable is different from release. Stable has to be compiled yourself, I assume you didn't do that and actually mean release.

syspatch exits quietly if there was nothing to install. There are no errata patches for 6.2 yet.

https://www.openbsd.org/errata62.html

pkg_add -u will not do anything as the OpenBSD project does not build packages after release. The project might patch packages with security fixes in the stable branch. Again, stable has to be built yourself.

If you want stable package updates, and don't want to build them yourself, you can also use a 3rd party service such as https://stable.mtier.org/
Old 12th October 2017
Always learning

@TronDD

Yes I meant release. Sorry about that. I was wondering if something is wrong at my end but since there are no updates available yet I will wait.

Thanks.
Old 12th October 2017
More noise than signal

As you are subscribed to announce@, you will receive Email when a patch is published. Read them carefully, because not all patches are applicable to all architectures. Some require reboot, others may not.

If you want to be notified when a syspatch is available for your archtecture, use the -c option of syspatch(8). It is designed to be used in a cron(8) job, such as in an /etc/daily.local script. See daily(8).
Old 12th October 2017
Always learning

Yes I have subscribed to announce mailing list. That is good news. I don't want to tweak the system further atm. Wanna get used to the OS.

Since didnt know announe also provides update information I also subscribed to bugs
Old 13th October 2017
Shell Scout

Hi TronDD,

I have question regarding the stable package available from https://stable.mtier.org/ that you mentioned.

If I interpret the https://www.openbsd.org/stable.html correctly, -stable=-release+patches, applied via the syspatch(8) utility. It thus follows that as long as I patch the base religiously, I can use the stable packages.

Is that understanding correct?

Kindest regards,

M

Last edited by mefisto; 13th October 2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old 13th October 2017
Spam Deminer

To answer your question directly, yes. mTier stable packages will run on release + syspatch systems.

For some clarification:
For base, there is -release + syspatch errata. That does not necessarily equate to the -stable branch. -stable is a branch in CVS that contains the errata patches plus additional, non-security related fixes. This is mentioned in the second bullet point describing -stable.

But, as the name implies, the -stable branch of base does not include functional changes or library upgrades. Stable packages, built yourself or by mTier will run on either -release + syspatch or the -stable branch from CVS.

Unless you have stability problem, you likely won't miss out on anything important by running base at -release + syspatch.

DISCLAIMER: I don't personaly use mTier. On production systems, I build from -stable myself.
Old 13th October 2017
Shell Scout

Hi TronDD,

first thank you for your answer clarifying the -stable. It is a great news for me.

But, could you please clarify the following? The second bullet says that in addition to the first bullets "bugs which affect many people", "[o]ther patches may be merged". The following sentence does not say that the syspatch(8) utility installs only the former as you imply. Or, am I misinterpreting? Could you please clarify?

Also, why do you not use mTier? From what I was able to research, they build from the official port tree without any modification. So, what do you gain by compiling?

Kindest regards,

M
Old 13th October 2017
More noise than signal

• An Openbsd-release is issued twice each year, and never changes.
  • Errata patches are published for security issues, or for stability or operational issues which are considered to have large impact on the user community. For 6.2, there has been one errata patch published to date, specific to OpenBSD/amd64.
  • The syspatch(8) tool applies binary versions of the errata patches distributed for the amd64 and i386 architectures. The architecture set may change in the future.
  • The OpenBSD-stable branch is -release, plus errata patches, plus any additional patches that have been developed for the -release but do not warrant publishing as errata. There's been one patch of this type added to 6.2-stable to date.
  • The ports tree receives -stable patches also, primarily to address CVEs. There have been several of these patches of the ports tree to date. The project does not package these -stable ports, as it has insufficient resources to do so. M:Tier does provide packages of these -stable ports, as a service. And of course, sufficiently skilled users may build packages from these ports themselves.
  • OpenBSD-current is the development branch, where the next -release is already being developed.
Old 13th October 2017
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefisto View Post
But, could you please clarify the following? The second bullet says that in addition to the first bullets "bugs which affect many people", "[o]ther patches may be merged". The following sentence does not say that the syspatch(8) utility installs only the former as you imply. Or, am I misinterpreting? Could you please clarify?
The web page is about the -stable CVS branch so isn't saying anything about what is available via syspatch it doesn't explicitly state.

Quote:
Also, why do you not use mTier? From what I was able to research, they build from the official port tree without any modification. So, what do you gain by compiling?
Personal preference mostly. At home, I run -current and do testing/tweaking/ports work where I can so I work with the OpenBSD build system in that capacity. At work, I didn't want to rely on a 3rd party. I'm also a build/release/ops engineer so that sort of thing appeals to me.
Old 13th October 2017
Shell Scout

Hi jggimi, TronDD,

thank you for your answers, I have learnt something so today was not wasted.

Kindest regards,

M