DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading

FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd June 2009
New User

Angry Freebsd on IBM Thinkpad X40 /w ultrabase

Hello World,

I would like to give you a feedback on using [Free/PC]-BSD on IBM Thinkpad x40 with ultrabase:

after having install PC-BSD 7.1 on my IBM Thinkpad X40 with success, I realized that if I plugged/unplugged the power when the laptop is alone (without its ultrabase) PC-BSD craches systematically whereas GNU/Linux (Ubuntu) does not. I have the same with FreeBSD 7.0.

Second point concerning PC-BSD on Thinkpad with ultrabase, when I used it withou the ultrabase, the system becomes weird (e.g., the starting up is two times longer, sometimes, it craches during the KDE splash screens, whereas it does'nt when ultrabase is plugged).
Seems that [PC/Free]BSD does not like the when the Ultrabase is absent. I tried with and without ACPI, I got the same.

In this manner, FreeBSD is no usable I thus go back to Linux ops:

Does anybody have any idea about that point?

Many thanks.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd June 2009
Tcpdump Spy

Hello and Welcome!

Did you try loading acpi_dock(4)? There's little documentation and it isn't specific for thinkpad docks, but a quick glace at the code seems that it does some useful generic stuff which may prevent lockups and crashes.

There's also acpi_ibm(4), but that doesn't seem to do anything with docking stations ... (But it may be useful for other stuff).