DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading

FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th June 2008
Port Guard

Default PC-BSD 1.5.1 fails to install

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I have a system with two SATA2 drives and one IDE drive. I have taken an interest in multibooting over the past few months and now have Windows Versions as well as Ubuntu Feisty Fawn. Today I thought I would have a look at a Unix based system. I downloaded and burned PC-BSD version 1.5.1 Each time I boot the disk it reports, "Attempt to query device size failed. Not ready. Medium not present." After 3 tries it reboots and finally when it reaches this point in the boot process, it goes through the same failed attemts and reboots again. Any suggestions as to the possible cause would be much appreciated.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th June 2008
Port Guard

are you booting with acpi?, if so, try option 2, acpi disabled.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th June 2008
Port Guard

Default Got to boot screen

Thanks for the reply. Although it still tried several times at "acd1:attempt to query, etc." and then "acd: failure." It did not restart, though, as it did previously but now I got to the boot screen and proceeded toward the install screen. I had been hoping to install it on a 50 gb partition on a 320 gb SATA2 hard drive. It listed two other 40 gb "drives." I forget the terminology it used. They were referred to as "remote" or "usb" or something like that, but I don't think they had to do with that drive, possibly the IDE drive, I'm not sure I am using another 50 gb partition for Vista64 and the rest of the drive for a backup image of the primary SATA2 hard drive. Unfortunately, the software only sees the whole drive as though it was a single partition (305 gb) I have no option to choose the smaller specific partition. I had only one sata drive connected because I planned to access it along with Vista 64 via BIOS. I know that's not the proper procdure but that's the way I've been doing it. Did I do something else wrong for it not to see the partitions I previously made?
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th June 2008
Port Guard

Im not sure..to be honest, the only time Ive seen FreeBSD or OpenBSD fail during a boot to install is when they have an issue with your hardware.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th June 2008
Port Guard

Default IDE vs SATA

Hello again,
I have no doubt the install would have completed if I had had a full hard drive with a single partition.
I have a feeling that there may be problems with SATA drives as compared with IDE. I intend to erase one of the partitions on my IDE drive tormorrow and try that to see if it is any different in recognizing partitions. Is is pssible hat the partition I created on my Sata drive is not a primary partition? How can I tell after the fact?
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th June 2008
Fdisk Soldier

You might need to prepare the hard drive partitions before using the installer. I had an issue with installing 1.5.1 onto a partition with an os installed.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th June 2008
Port Guard

whether this is relevent or not: I have heard issues of vista and dual booting if u try to take control of the drive away from vista.. I cannot confirm. I am waiting on a new laptop to arrive (should have by friday, currently tuesday) at which point I will be installing pcbsd and dual booting vista x64.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th June 2008
Port Guard

Default Partition not primary

I noticed that the partition that it failed to see was not a primary one. I created a new primary partition inside it. I had anticipated having to do some work, to make it dual boot afterwards. I have many active partitions, so I have already opted to use BIOS to switch from one drive to another. I intend to leave only one drive connected when I do the install. I have family visiting the next two days, so Friday would be a better time.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th June 2008
Port Guard

BTW, the version of Linus that I have on the other drive is Hardy Heron, not Feisty Fawn.
Old 19th June 2008
Port Guard

Default Vista64 not accessible

Hello again,

I went ahead and did the install today. It recognized the partition now that I have made it a primary one and the installation completed nicely. When I boot, however, it fails to list Windows Vista 64bit as an option. It lists
F1 FreeBSD
F3 DOS
F5 Drive 1

F3 gives me the option to insert my Windows Vista 64 disk and do a Repair.

F1 and F5 both start FreeBSD. In either case I have to press 2 on the subsequent menu to load the OS.

Is repairing Windows going to erase the FreeBSD loader. Is there a quicker way to access my installed Vista?

Thanks in advance for your continued support ...
Old 19th June 2008
Arp Constable

Try using this for the bootloader: http://gag.sourceforge.net/

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 19th June 2008
Port Guard

Default GAG

Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion. Being that the only OS that presently boots from the drive I am using for this is FreeBSD (I disconnected the other two drives during installation of both the Vista 64 and now the FreeBSD) am I able to download and install GAG from inside the FreeBSD? I would prefer not to risk overwriting the MBR on either of the other two drives which already have multiple boot setups so I planned to disconnect them again and access the various drives through BIOS. Can you point me to the instructions for installing GAG? Thanks again.

Last edited by archp2008; 19th June 2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 19th June 2008
Arp Constable

installing gag:

download the floppy boot disk image or iso cd-rom image, burn it to disk, boot off it, install directions are on screen ;-)

If you want something that can be tucked in the FreeBSD root partition, GRUB might be able to do it --> I've only used GRUB under GNU.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 19th June 2008
Port Guard

Default Vista fixed

I installed GAG to a floppy disk. I disconnected all but the drive with the Vista and FreeBSD on it, and rebooted to the floppy. It recognized the 3 partitions on this drive and the two operating systems, but when I tried to boot Vista with it, it still reported corruption of Vista and asked me to do a repair. I did this (startup repair only) and the Vista returned. I can choose to boot now from the GAG on the floppy by choosing from the numbers 1, 2 or 3, or simply boot from the hard drive and choose F1 for FreeBSD or F3 for Vista. I don't know what F5 is for being that the other partition is only an inactive logical partition In any case, the dual boot works both ways. Of course I have to choose the boot drive via BIOS.

Is it normal for FreeBSD to take 75 seconds with code scrolling down the screen each time it boots? Is is normal for it not to actually kill the power when you shut it down? Why do I still have to choose option 2 to boot FreeBSD (disable ACPI)? When I choose option 1 (default) it continues to reboot (same as when I tried to install it via option 1).

I'm impressed by GAG, although it didn't actually fix the Vista problem. Are there any limitations on what you can do with GAG? Are there any pitfalls that can cause you grief if you try to use to automate the booting of 9 OS's on two SATA drives and 1 IDE drive that were originally installed with only one drive connected at a time?

Thanks again.
Old 19th June 2008
Port Guard

Grub will be able to boot both OS's. You will however need to use vista's boot and chainload into freebsd.

As I mentioned earlier, Vista doesnt like it if you remove its control over the entire drive. (more reading since my last post has confirmed this)

Is it normal for FreeBSD to take 75 seconds with code scrolling down the screen each time it boots?

no.

Is is normal for it not to actually kill the power when you shut it down?

yes

Why do I still have to choose option 2 to boot FreeBSD (disable ACPI)?

add this to /boot/device.hints.

hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"

When I choose option 1 (default) it continues to reboot (same as when I tried to install it via option 1).

your machine probably doesnt support or has a broken acpi implementation.

I'm impressed by GAG, although it didn't actually fix the Vista problem. Are there any limitations on what you can do with GAG? Are there any pitfalls that can cause you grief if you try to use to automate the booting of 9 OS's on two SATA drives and 1 IDE drive that were originally installed with only one drive connected at a time?

Ive never used GAG, so I cant comment.

Last edited by Dazhelpwiz; 19th June 2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old 20th June 2008
Port Guard

Default FreeBSD no longer accessible

Thank you for all those useful comments.

At this time, since I reconnected the other drives, I cannot access the FreeBSD any longer. I reaches the point where it says, "attempt to query device size failed. Device not ready. Media not present. Trying to mount root from ufs:dev/ad0s1a. Then it stops at the prompt mountroot> where I have no idea what to enter. I am guessing it is "trying" to boot from the other drive. I expect if I pulled out the two drives again, it would work again. I don't know. I will try that now. How can I troubleshoot the ACPI and ascertain what is wrong and what if anything can be done about it? I am able to use standby and hibernate in XP, but I don't think the WD Sata2 drives can use power management. I have no idea about what /boot/device.hints is or how to gp about adding hint.acpi.0.disabled="1" Is this a subfolder on the drive? Are you suggesting that I edit a text file?

Let me know how you make out with your laptop?

Thanks again.
Old 20th June 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by archp2008 View Post
I have no idea about what /boot/device.hints is or how to gp about adding hint.acpi.0.disabled="1" Is this a subfolder on the drive? Are you suggesting that I edit a text file?

Let me know how you make out with your laptop?
your welcome.

unfortunately my laptop has been delayed . The joys of ordering and not buying instore.

device.hints is a file under the /boot directory. edit this file and add the line I mentioned above.

As for power mgmt, this issue doesnt bother me (personally) whether it works or not.

The ability to save sessions and restore when you turn back on make this pointless really, IMO.

maybe another forum member can shed some light on that matter.
Old 20th June 2008
Port Guard

Default works ok with single drive connected

I disconnected the two other drives so that only the single SATA drive with the Vista/FreeBSD on it is hooked up. As I expected the dual boot completes normally in this scenario as before. If someone can shed some light on the mountroot> prompt which comes up with the other drives connected and what needs to be entered here, it would be much appreciated. Also I am at a loss of what to do to avoid the long sequence of codes which appear on each startup of FreeBSD (more than a minute delay).

I was unable to figure out how to sign in as admin so that I could change the write permissions for device.hints

Although I installed with default QWERTY keyboard, I also have problems with getting " when I try to type @. Is there a way to change this?

Good luck with your laptop order Dazhelpwiz

Last edited by archp2008; 20th June 2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old 21st June 2008
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by archp2008 View Post
Is it normal for FreeBSD to take 75 seconds with code scrolling down the screen each time it boots? Is is normal for it not to actually kill the power when you shut it down? Why do I still have to choose option 2 to boot FreeBSD (disable ACPI)? When I choose option 1 (default) it continues to reboot (same as when I tried to install it via option 1).
This is usually an issue with hardware or hardware support from what I've seen -> ACPI ain't always a fun invention either.

Old 21st June 2008
Port Guard

Default ACPI

Thanks for the comment. I'm not too much concerned with not having ACPI, just the fact that I can't access FreeBSD except when I disconnect the other drives. Also it would be nice if it would remember and not require me to watch the boot process and be ready to hit the 2 key each time.