DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Question Lokking to install FreeBSD 730 on an old dell Dmension L933r

I have an old dell demension L933r which Iwas planning to use as a Samba print and File Server for my network.

The Specs are as follows.

CD R?RW dvd reader combo
processor: Intel Pentium III @933MHZ

768 MiB Ram

80GB hard drive upgraded fromn the oem 20gb

Linksys 100baset ethernet adapter

Posible: Linksys WMP54g PCI WIRELESS adapter to enable the machine to be used as light weight Wireless access point/dhcp & samba server 1 to 5 clients.

Do you think it si a good idea tio use a machine this old with these lowball spec as a Samba server /wireless access point?
Windows = a 32 bit extensions to a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a four bit processor written by 2-bit monopolistic software company founded by a .3-bit Harvard Drop out, who can't stand one respectable bit of competition.
If I believe something to be immoral a will not keep quite and let my voice of annoyance be heard loud and clear.

Last edited by FloridaBSD; 10th May 2008 at 07:46 AM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th May 2008
Port Guard

That's possible, in fact it's easy to do. You need multiple ethernet cards and a wireless PCI card.

Consult the handbook and look up pf, or if you prefer, ipfw
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

I know from running FreeBSD 70-stable on my Hp Pavillion A6320n Desktopg back before the connecting pin on the antenna of my Linksys WMP54G wireles PCI Adapter that The RT61v4.1 based wmp54g pci wireless cards are compatible With freeBSD. My Concern is that I could lose connectivity ion my Linux box by setting the aforementioned machine as a isolation gateway, Could you please share your stories both horror and Success so I have some reassurance
Windows = a 32 bit extensions to a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a four bit processor written by 2-bit monopolistic software company founded by a .3-bit Harvard Drop out, who can't stand one respectable bit of competition.
If I believe something to be immoral a will not keep quite and let my voice of annoyance be heard loud and clear.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th May 2008
Port Guard

Your Linux machine is to be connected via ethernet to the router right?

You won't lose connectivity to it if it is set up properly.

My own router, a PIII with 256MB of RAM copes with the internet connection, 2 ethernet networks and a wireless network, it does routing and NAT as appropriate and firewalling with pf.