DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd April 2010
New User

Default Alpine not working

Hi,
Alpine e-mail client is not working here. If I start it, it just does nothing. Process starts (and it doesn't die), but it goes immediately to sleep state as I can see with ps. At the beginning it was working okay but one day it magically didn't work any more.

I've tried to remove ~/.pinerc and to run it with another usernames (including root), but always same.

Between "last working try" and "first not-working-try" I've possibly installed some packages and/or done some system configuration, but I cannot remember exactly.

Any ideas? I'm quite newbie with OpenBSD but I've quite long Linux-administration-background.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd April 2010
New User

As a new user I cannot edit my first post, so for information: I'm running OpenBSD 4.6 on virtual server, i386 platform.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd April 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomageeni View Post
Alpine e-mail client is not working here.
We need further clarification.
  • I assume you installed either the package(s) or manually compiled the port(s). If not, then you need to provide more information about what was done.
  • Since you are running OpenBSD 4.6-release, you will need to be installing packages compatible to this version. Further information can found in Section 15.4.1 of the FAQ. If you installed packages targeting -current or downloaded the ports tree for -current, this would explain the weirdness you are experiencing. Unlike Linux, the *BSD family has the kernel/userland/official applications tightly coupled. Mixing applications targeting one flavor (or version) with another flavor or version of the operating system is not supported.
  • If you installed packages & defined PKG_PATH, post what value was used here.
  • If you are unclear as to the difference between OpenBSD flavors, study Section 5.1 of the FAQ.
  • Lastly, you need to provide more information about what virtualization platform is being used. I will caution you now that in general, the OpenBSD developers are not necessarily fans of the virtualization solutions available today.
Section 15 of the FAQ covers the package/ports system in moderate depth. Familiarizing yourself with its contents would be quite prudent & useful.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd April 2010
Rc.conf Instructor

Alpine works on OpenBSD. The port maintainer is Antoine Jacoutot. He is using Alpine to send at least couple e-mail a day to OpenBSD mailing lists. The Alpine configuration if I recall correctly is not entirely trivial for a Unix n00b but man pages should do it. Do not bother to ask any questions
about Alpine on OpenBSD mailing lists unless you run OpenBSD on the real hardware.

Cheers,
OKO

P.S. I use Hairloom mailx (nail) if anybody needs sample of a configuration file I would be more than happy to provide one.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd April 2010
New User

I've installed Alpine as a ready package via pkg_add from repository [mirrors.nic.funet.fi/pub/OpenBSD/4.6/ which is official mirror of OpenBSD package source.

And yes, I got Alpine running again. But it always falls in "sleep"-state when I run it, and after like 15-30 minutes sleeping it finally starts and works normally. So theoretically I can run it always in screen, but I still wanted to find out which is the problem.

My guess is that there's some other application/daemon reserving some resources and/or files that Alpine is waiting for. As I said, previously Alpine used to work correctly and start without any delay.

About platform: OpenBSD is running on VMWare ESXi 3.5 -server and I've allocated it ~512MB of RAM, ~10GB of disk space and 1,3GHz processor (Intel Xeon).
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd April 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomageeni View Post
At the beginning it was working okay but one day it magically didn't work any more.
Now that we have established that what was installed is compatible, the next step is to ferret out the cause. While I suspect you originally posted hoping someone would have the "magic" answer, I suspect the only way you will be able to resolve this problem is to do the arduous work leading up the quote above.

It it was working at one point, the question now is to pinpoint what changed. I would suggest starting from scratch by reinstalling (or creating a new virtual image...), install Alpine next, verify its behavior, & build your system up as before checking the functionality of Alpine after each major change. Yes, this is laborious, but there is no other way to pinpoint the specific cause.

Good luck.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd April 2010
New User

Okay, thanks for the answers. I was indeed excepting some obvious reason for this weird behavior of alpine, but as there's none, I'm going to do a fresh install and try to reproduce the bug, as ocicat described. Thanks again for the help!
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd April 2010
Arp Constable

Another thought is to use "top" and selectively kill one active process at a time to see if it affects starting alpine.

This page also might be of some use:
http://www.washington.edu/alpine/tech-notes/

Good luck

Last edited by shep; 2nd April 2010 at 10:10 PM. Reason: corrected link