DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th April 2010
New User

Default OpenBSD's X11 on an Acer Aspire netbook

Hello,

I recently bought an Aspire One 532h netbook [1] and I installed OpenBSD 4.6 (I actually downloaded the iso from a shady site, but I did pre-order 4.7, so please don't beat on me).

I currenty have a problem with X11. I was under the impression that it would be easy [2] but I currently cannot get it to work. The command startx fails with the messages:
Code:
(EE) intel(0): /dev/agpgart  is either not available, or no memory is available for allocation. Please enable agpgart
(EE) intel(0): AGP GART support is either not available or cannot be used. Make sure your kernel has agpgart support or has the agpgart module loaded
(EE) intel(0): Couldn't allocate video memory
This happens when the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf is not present, which from what I understand means that it's "auto config." If I try to let Xorg create a configuration file, it still fails with similar messages. I have tried to play with the file, inspiring myself from several examples [3,4,5].

Now, I would try to enable AGP GART, but it seems it's been in for a long time [6]. Please let me know what to do. Sorry if it's simple, but I am new to X11 and OpenBSD. I did try Ubuntu and the screen works just fine, but I'd rather check out OpenBSD.

Thanks in advance,
Tony

[1] us.acer.com/acer/productv.do?LanguageISOCtxParam=en&kcond61e.c2att1 01=72644&sp=page16e&ctx2.c2att1=25&link=ln438e&Cou ntryISOCtxParam=US&ctx1g.c2att92=843&ctx1.att21k=1 &CRC=1682517101#wrAjaxHistory=1

Last edited by vermaden; 19th April 2010 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Added [ code ] / [ file ] / [ cmd ] tags.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th April 2010
New User

Sorry, I cannot post URLs as I am a new user...
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th April 2010
More noise than signal

I don't know what you mean by -shady site- since there are many official mirrors, around the planet, but if you used the actual OS software and conducted an install, per FAQ 4, you would have been asked if you were planning to run X11. A "Yes" response would have enabled the video aperture, which is =required= in order to run X11 on architectures without frame buffers. X is a userland program that needs direct access to video memory or a frame buffer.

See FAQ 11.2 for details, and follow the guidelines for your architecture: amd64 and i386 have the same X11 configuration concerns.

Last edited by jggimi; 19th April 2010 at 10:00 AM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th April 2010
Administrator

@bruguiea

One of the features of Aspire One 532h is newest Atom platform (N450 model in that case), which comes with 3150 graphics, which may have other graphics ID, or even be in some aspect different then the 'original' GMA 3100.

You should try VESA driver to check if this is a driver problem, intel in that case that does not support this graphics chip (or the version in OpenBSD is older).

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th April 2010
New User

@jggimi

Yes, I did install everything that is related to X11.

@vermaden
Thanks for the tips. The VESA driver does work, so it seems that it is driver-related. Does the OpenBSD just copy the sources from X11 or do they do some checking for security holes before importing the code?

If they just copy the code, how do we check which version of X11 is used in OpenBSD? It seems that the support has been added already [1] but the OpenBSD 4.7 change list doesn't mention much about X11 [2].

Thanks again,
Tony

[1] intellinuxgraphics.org/2009Q4.html

[2] openbsd.org/plus47.html
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th April 2010
Administrator

@bruguiea

OpenBSD team uses 'thier' Xenocara (based on Xorg 7.4): http://xenocara.org/

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th April 2010
Banned

Xorg is modular now, Xenocara is the porting effort to bring a "stable" version of the X Windowing environment to OpenBSD.

The version of each component is chosen at the discretion of the developers, which versions are used is documented in the MODULES file and distributed along with xenocara source tarball, it is also available via CVS.

OpenBSD 4.6 included xf86-video-intel 2.7.1, this is mentioned in the man page as well.. and also indicated in /var/log/Xorg.0.log if you look carefully.

OpenBSD 4.7 will include version 2.10.0 of that module, perhaps this may include the relevant GMA 3150 changes.. otherwise you can run snapshots and help the developers test things (..like an important Intel driver update which may wind up in 4.8).

In the future can you add a dmesg in [code][/code] blocks? along with the full non-truncated output of Xorg.0.log.. if you can.