DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th March 2010
New User

Default OpenBSD keyboard layouts

While installing OpenBSD 4.6 there was a question where i had to select keyboard layout.
Problem is, there is no my keyboard layout which I usually use.
That is "hr" ( I am from Croatia).
I know that it is possible to use it under FreeBSD so I'm wondering is there a way to get more of these layouts, so I can get that one.
I know it's no big deal, but it really is pain in the... especially when it comes to programming where I have to type all kind of characters.
Thanx!
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th March 2010
Banned

Adding additional layouts will require that you patch & recompile the kernel, I'm not aware of any Croatian (Hrvatski) patches yet.

I do believe the following files require modification, the kbd(8) program may also require some changes.. as well as reinstall the system header files.

/usr/sys/dev/pckbc/wskbdmap_mfii.c
/usr/src/sys/dev/wscons/wsksymdef.h

Example of adding new layouts, this was sent to the tech@ list in 2003.

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=104153165920094&w=2

You may wish to obtain a US or British keyboard, for the time being anyway.

I do believe keyboard layouts can be configured separately in Xorg, which would be another workaround solution.

Hope that helps.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th March 2010
Rc.conf Instructor

OpenBSD is very poorly localized. That is by design! OpenBSD is very simple system which does not really need localization.

If you use X window system you can use xmodmap to get Gaj's Latin alphabet (Gajevu Latinicu).

I am little bit puzzled why anybody, who uses computers to write programs, needs Croatian
language anyway. I am using computers almost thirty years and I have never heard of any programming language based on Croatian or Serbian language for that matter. If you need to do heavy text editing using TeX/LaTeX that is whole another story. In that case contact me of the list and I will help you out.

Last edited by Oko; 9th March 2010 at 04:39 AM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th March 2010
Shell Scout

I wouldn't call "simple design" by lack of functionalities. Simple desgin may have a lot of functionalities. It is the same reason that OpenBSD doesn't have reach locale support as NetBSD- simply lack of time and hands to work. This is the rason not a design.

A someone who writes programms may also use web browser to write in locale language/key board mapping- both things come toghether.

Anyway lack of support of key maps is a fact. Pitty NetBSD and OpenBSD doesn't have such good supprot as FreeBSD (what about working framebuffer).

Piotr.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th March 2010
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko
If you use X window system you can use xmodmap to get Gaj's Latin alphabet (Gajevu Latinicu).
Another way to type special characters is the compose key:
$ setxkbmap -option compose:ralt

(You can use other keys instead of ralt too.)

Now I can type, e.g., "alt D -" and get that D with a line through it.

I do wish OpenBSD supported locales, so I could type arbitrary Unicode characters with Compose. On the Linux boxes at school, for example, I can type arrow keys or smart quotes easy, because their compose supports more than 255 characters.

There was a guy who did some work on it, so it's not impossible. I hope to see reasonable locale support in OpenBSD within a few years.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th March 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by backrow View Post
I hope to see reasonable locale support in OpenBSD within a few years.
Users have no say in the direction the OpenBSD project takes. If leverage exists, it is in the ability to provide code for consideration, or the ability to contribute funds and/or hardware to the project requesting such features.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th March 2010
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
Users have no say in the direction the OpenBSD project takes. If leverage exists, it is in the ability to provide code for consideration, or the ability to contribute funds and/or hardware to the project requesting such features.
Why do you think I didn't complain to the list? I'm confident that since someone smarter than me has released some code for it, it'll make it into OpenBSD eventually.