DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th February 2011
Port Guard

Default Support for RT-3062 in 4.8?

I have a newly purchased Zonet 802.11n wireless card that appears to use an RT-3062 chip. I have this set up properly, based on the 2nd edition of the PF book and various web sources, and an ifconfig says this:

Quote:
# ifconfig ral0
ral0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
lladdr c8:3a:35:cd:4e:e6
priority: 4
groups: wlan
media: IEEE802.11 autoselect mode 11b hostap
ieee80211: nwid arroyonetoo chan 1 bssid c8:3a:35:cd:4e:e6 wpapsk <password hash here> wpaprotos wpa1,wpa2 wpaakms psk wpaciphers tkip,ccmp wpagroupcipher tkip
inet6 fe80::ca3a:35ff:fecd:4ee6%ral0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5
inet 172.22.0.1 netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 172.22.255.255
It looks correct to me but neither a Mac or an iPhone can see it (I have tried b, g and n in hostname.ral0). They both do see the current access point on the upstream router. Have I done something wrong in the config or is the RT-3062 not yet supported?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th February 2011
Banned

OpenBSD doesn't support 802.11n, such adapters only work in b/g mode.

Using OpenBSD for an access point is generally problematic for all but OpenBSD clients, it would be better to obtain a commercial access point and connect it to your OpenBSD router over Ethernet.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th February 2011
Port Guard

Default Ouch!

That's not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for the straight answer. I'll leave the card in place and disable the interface, perhaps things will change in 4.9 or later. Gotta stay optimistic about these things...

And I'll start shopping for an access point.

thanks,

tf
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th February 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefronny View Post
perhaps things will change in 4.9 or later.
You can always check the ral(4) manpage for -current to see what will appear in the immediate future. For OpenBSD 4.9, nothing thus far has been mentioned about 802.11n support. Given that work on OpenBSD 4.9 is essentially done (CVS tagging is not far off...), I would not hold my breath for support to appear in the May 2011 release.

Along with reading -current manpages, reading the project's official misc@ mailing list is invaluable for those that what to pick up on what the developers are thinking & get a glimpse of future directions.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th February 2011
Port Guard

Default I'm stayin' the course

I'm really not that upset about the lack of "n", b/g would be fine by me. I'm just disappointed that it doesn't work at all. But the card was only US$25 and believe me, I've made bigger mistakes than that before.

tf
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th February 2011
Banned

There are people that use OpenBSD's 802.11 hostap functionality, but it's limited currently.. power management for clients isn't supported so you're required to disable that (..assuming the device makes this configurable, some don't).

Beyond the basic framework, the drivers need to implement support for hostap on several models.. sometimes this is based on documentation, other times it's reverse engineered. It might not work on all hardware, perhaps the card physically isn't capable of transmitting a strong signal.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th February 2011
Too dumb for a smartphone

A partially related, anecdotal, data point: I have two old Ralink cards, Linksys WMP54G, which use the ral(4) driver. They're on machines sitting right next to each other, but neither has the supplied antenna; one uses a DIY biquad, and the other a POS wire bent to fit.

With this setup I've found the OpenBSD hostap mode works awesomely. It gives pretty reliable high speed (54Mbps) connections to a Linux client (managed mode). If I replace the OpenBSD HostAP with Linux + hostapd, it's very erratic ... at best, with a recent kernel ... with an older kernel forgetaboutit. In fact, I find that if I boot OpenBSD first and set up the hostap mode, then reboot without powering off, then the Linux + hostapd AP will work better than just going into it with a cold start. Obviously the OpenBSD ral driver is doing something right in initializing the card, but I have no idea what it is.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th March 2011
Port Guard

Default Thanks IdOp

I picked up a Linksys WMP54G that you mentioned, plugged it in and booted. BANG! Works like a charm, out of the box. In fact, I had to move it off channel one and on to channel eleven because it was interfering with my cell phone reception and causing static in our cheapo cordless phone (channel 11 seems to be OK).

Now I have to get the network changed on the various devices but I'm looking forward to the lesson.

Thanks for the "suggestion" on the Linksys.

tf
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th March 2011
Too dumb for a smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefronny View Post
Thanks for the "suggestion" on the Linksys.
You're welcome; glad to hear it's working now!