DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th April 2014
Administrator

Default Please Put OpenSSL Out of Its Misery

From http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=2602816 an analysis by FreeBSD and Varnish developer Poul-Henning Kamp:

Quote:
OpenSSL must die, for it will never get any better.

Poul-Henning Kamp

The OpenSSL software package is around 300,000 lines of code, which means there are probably around 299 bugs still there, now that the Heartbleed bug — which allowed pretty much anybody to retrieve internal state to which they should normally not have access — has been fixed.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th April 2014
Package Pilot

Default OpenBSD has started a massive strip-down and cleanup of OpenSSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by J65nko View Post
From http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=2602816 an analysis by FreeBSD and Varnish developer Poul-Henning Kamp:
Quote:
OpenSSL must die, for it will never get any better.
OpenBSD always gets blamed for OpenSSL and so apparently they decided to try and clean up the mess.

http://www.undeadly.org/cgi?action=a...&mode=expanded

http://www.undeadly.org/

Last edited by comet--berkeley; 16th April 2014 at 09:35 PM. Reason: fix url
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th April 2014
Daemonology student

Quote:
Originally Posted by comet--berkeley View Post
OpenBSD always gets blamed for OpenSSL and so apparently they decided to try and clean up the mess.
Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is the relation between the two? All I've found is that two members of the core team - Ben Laurie and Ralf Engelschall - are also FreeBSD committers, among many other things.

The only mention of "BSD" in anything related to OpenSSL, is its 4-clause BSD License.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th April 2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is the relation between the two?
None. Because the names "OpenSSL" & "OpenBSD" both start with the moniker "Open", many equate the two as coming from the same set of developers. They do not.

However, as comet-berkeley has linked, the OpenBSD developers have taken on the task of correcting all of the ills of OpenSSL found in OpenBSD. Rapid & frequent changes are now being checked into OpenBSD's CVS repository chopping out all kinds of cruft.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th April 2014
Daemonology student

Thanks for clarifying that, ocicat. That's what I suspected.

I've read about this overhaul by the OpenBSD team yesterday. It's definitely good considering how bad things are. I hope the changes get accepted upstream, and if they don't, I hope 1) it doesn't become a fork that is too much of a burden for the OpenBSD project to maintain and 2) it doesn't deviate too much that it becomes incompatible with all the software that rely on this particular implementation.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th April 2014
Swen Tnavelerri

Default PolarSSL

Has anyone here used polarSSL? It's said to be much cleaner, code-wise, but I haven't looked at it myself, other than to change a couple lines to compile it together with curl. It seemed to work OK on my cursory looksee, and It's dual licensed, commercial and gpl2. There are other alternatives, but I suspect some are problematic license wise...
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th April 2014
Swen Tnavelerri

I have to agree with phk about the certificate system. The current system of certificates seems ridiculously akin to stealing candy from babies...

The banks just keep on paying ($billions) because they're stll able to eek out a profit post exploit-madness. Tell's you how high the profits are...
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd April 2014
More noise than signal

Default NEWS: An official fork of OpenSSL

We have three threads now for the Heartbleed bug. This, that, and the other. I had a choice where to post this, so I picked this thread as it is one of the ones in the News subforum. I am not inclined to start a fourth thread.

LibreSSL is the name of the OpenBSD Project's official fork of OpenSSL.

You can follow the development via the fork's website, freshmeat.org, or opensslrampage.org.

Last edited by jggimi; 22nd April 2014 at 05:38 PM. Reason: link, clarity
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd April 2014
Marveled user

I love the LibreSSL webpage :
Quote:
This page scientifically designed to annoy web hipsters.
Old 24th April 2014
Administrator

Arstechnic has an article about LibreSSL :
OpenSSL code beyond repair, claims creator of “LibreSSL” fork
Tcpdump Spy

Here's what I posted in the Ars comments section a few days ago:

The whole "we don't get enough donations to code properly"-excuse is, quite honestly, a pile of horseshit.
No one demanded the heartbeat extension, there was no deadline, and few people used even when it was implemented. The OpenSSL people obviously had a choice how to implement this. They chose to implement it badly. Using it as an excuse now only serves to highlight their complete lack of responsibility & cognitive dissonance.

Perhaps the lack of documentation, code quality can, at least *in part* be attributed to the lack of donations, but to me it seems that the OpenSSL people are just churning along code, fairly happy with the status quo. There has, for example, never been an OpenSSL fundraiser. You can't just expect people to start knocking at at your door asking you to please take their money.
Port Guard

Just thought I would mention that The Register had a rather nice write up of the fork - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/04...fork_libressl/

I thought their (actually somewhat critically honest) write up of the effort to pump cash into OpenSSL had an interesting quote at the end:
Quote:
The precise amount of funding was not disclosed. This looks to be a better initiative than a scheme started by security startup Bugcrowd to get more than $100,000 in donations to financially reward infosec professionals for closing other OpenSSL bugs. At the time of writing Bugcrowd's scheme had raised a little under $8,000. Meanwhile, OpenBSD has been busy forking OpenSSL into LibreSSL and tidying it up. ®
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/04...nfrastructure/

It's nice to see a major news site echo Carpetsmoker's sentiment rather than just go with corporate line that throwing money at OpenSSL will make everything better, which a lot of prominent sites (Ars *cough cough*) are embracing to a large extent.

Last edited by guitarfreak; 25th April 2014 at 05:27 AM. Reason: typo
Old 25th April 2014
Spam Deminer

Just one nit I have with this article (and they certainly aren't alone in this).

In college I had a couple friends who were devout muslims. Every time they said Allah they had to also say peace be upon him. It's like the tech. press and the part of the free software crowd outside the BSDs have a similar, but of opposite sentiment, tic when invoking Theo's name. They can't do it, whatever the context, without an extra adjective or two about him being cantankerous (but usually it's less politely put). It's tiresome.