DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Old 16th March 2014
More noise than signal

Third party firmware installation is normally automatic and happens at install and at upgrade. For new hardware installed onto an existing system, you install firmware after adding the device, using fw_update(1). That program will either obtain the firmware from an Internet connection or from a path to the firmware package you supply.

If you have an Internet connection via your wired Ethernet... you would insert the device into a USB slot, note the additional kernel messages on your console upon insertion, and then issue:

# fw_update

If you do not have a network connection, you must download the firmware from another machine, transfer it to the system, and then install it manually with pkg_add(1). Firmware is located at: http://firmware.openbsd.org/firmware/. In OpenBSD 5.5, fw_update will have a -p path option to install a firmware package obtained manually.

Last edited by jggimi; 16th March 2014 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Error in recommendation, corrected for 5.4.
Old 16th March 2014
Port Guard

SO, no hassle at all then. Good. I just placed the order. Thanks
Old 16th March 2014
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roydd85 View Post
SO, no hassle at all then. Good. I just placed the order. Thanks
Not a hassle, but some people refuse to use the firmware obtained through fw_update(1) because they're not freely redistributable. I get where those people are coming from.
Old 31st March 2014
Port Guard

I received my urtwn0 adapter on Friday. This morning I plugged it in while connected via wired(re0) and I issued fw_update. I dont know if it was necessary but I also created a /etc/hostename.urtwn0 file in vi with this content:
dhcp nwid "my networks name" wpakey "*****************"

after I saved and quit I issued the following cmd:
# sh /etc/netstart urtwn0

I received this output:
/etc/hostname.urtwn0[1]: dhcp: not found

I rebooted and it seemed like it connected but I received this message:
Warning: /etc/hostname.urtwn0 is insecure fixing permissions

What the heck does this mean? I am not too sure if I did everything right. I sent a ping request to my router and it is receiving/returning the packets and I pinged Google and it also receive/sends the packets. I am worried about that insecure comment though.

I forgot to mention that I did Google this error message but only one site came up and did not seem to be relevant, but I did not fully comprehend it, I think it was some kind of newsvine or a bug report though.

Last edited by Roydd85; 31st March 2014 at 04:30 PM. Reason: update
Old 31st March 2014
Administrator

Quote:
I rebooted and it seemed like it connected but I received this message:
Warning: /etc/hostname.urtwn0 is insecure fixing permissions

What the heck does this mean?
If you were able to create a file in /etc, you were most likely doing so either through su(1) or sudo(8) (which is preferred...). The permissions of the file were probably rwxr-xr-x which mirrors the permissions on the directory. However to keep common user accounts from messing with interface configurations inadvertently (or maliciously...), the system upon boot will set the configuration used to rw-r----- & output the message quoted above.

This is expected behavior.

Recognize that if you will be connecting to the same access point, using a hostname.if(5) file is acceptable, but if you will be using multiple access points, you will need modify this file accordingly (& reboot or issue netstart...) or connect manually.
Quote:
I sent a ping request to my router and it is receiving/returning the packets and I pinged Google and it also receive/sends the packets.
If the output of ifconfig(8) shows that an IP address has been assigned to this interface, & ping(8) to a domain name succeeds, you have reasonable assurance that DHCP & DNS has been configured correctly.
Old 31st March 2014
Port Guard

OK, great, it seems like I am good to go then I guess. Now I can start my real learning experience I hope it is just as nerve racking, confusing, and as painfully annoying as trying to get online, because this seems to be the only way I actually push myself into learning new things. I will most likely be posting quite a few comments showing how much I don't understand. Thanks again!
Old 31st March 2014
Administrator

Quote:
I hope it is just as nerve racking, confusing, and as painfully annoying...
Studying the project's FAQ & current & thorough books such as Lucas' Absolute OpenBSD & Hansteen's The Book of PF are great places to begin. Studying these sources can also minimize the frustration & aggravation all newbies face when learning Unix & OpenBSD.

Be very wary of anything found on the Internet, as much information out there is either incomplete, out-of-date, or simply wrong.
Old 7th July 2015
Too dumb for a smartphone

On March 15, 2014:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post
I'm going to make a fearless prediction that if a BSD Realtek 8188CE driver is developed it will be called rtwn(4).
It is there!

I downloaded the latest amd64 snapshot today

Code:
OpenBSD 5.8-beta (GENERIC.MP) #1126: Sun Jul  5 18:43:48 MDT 2015
and installed on the laptop to check how athn(4) was doing. To my great surprize there was a new device recognized, named rtwn0. Has its own man page, rtwn(4) (you'll need to select -current). Indeed, it is the Realtek RTL8188CE PCIe 802.11b/g/n wireless network device.

Code:
rtwn0 at pci4 dev 0 function 0 "Realtek 8188CE" rev 0x01: msi
rtwn0: MAC/BB RTL8188CE, RF 6052 1T1R, address de:ad:be:ef:00:01

Code:
rtwn0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        lladdr de:ad:be:ef:00:01
        priority: 4
        groups: wlan
        media: IEEE802.11 autoselect
        ieee80211: nwid ""
I had one small problem with the firmware file, rtwn-firmware-1.0.tgz, which I downloaded. It wouldn't install, but upon investigating it turned out to be doubly gzip'ed. So one level of gunzip, and rename it, and it would then install.

# gzip -d rtwn-firmware-1.0.tgz
# mv rtwn-firmware-1.0.tar rtwn-firmware-1.0.tgz
# fw_update -p . rtwn

I tested it briefly and it would scan and make a connection OK. Still need to give it a better workout, but this is great news.

Last edited by IdOp; 7th July 2015 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Added: arch, dmesg snippet