DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd September 2009
Banned

Default OpenBSD on qemu: opera install problems

i have an *G dedicated image to OpenBSD i386 4.5, desktop is installed, linux compat=1. I am trying to install opera and it breaks with desktop-file-utils, glib2 under the infrastructure of the bsd.mk file. The installation is searching for libglib2. In the beginning it makes a fake installation.
How do I resolve this?
errors 71, 1, and 2.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd September 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Biscuit View Post
I am trying to install opera and it breaks with desktop-file-utils, glib2 under the infrastructure of the bsd.mk file. The installation is searching for libglib2.
  • Is there a reason why you are compiling versus using pre-compiled packages? Unless you have modified the Makefile, there is no difference between the packages found on the mirrors when compared to what you will be creating through local compilation.
  • While I do not run qemu, wierd build errors are frequently the result of mismatching the version of the ports tree installed to the version of the installed operating system. eg. If you have OpenBSD 4.5-release installed, downloading the ports tree for -current may very well generate the odd messages described. More information can be found in Section 15.4.1 of the FAQ:

http://openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html#NoFun
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd September 2009
More noise than signal

Opera is a port-only, due to licensing. It is also a "binary" port, so there is no compilation. That's because its a closed source product.

I agree with Ocicat's assumption of an out-of-sync ports tree. The version of Opera synced with 4.5 is 9.63. The version synced to -current (and 4.6 next month) is 9.64.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd September 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Opera is a port-only, due to licensing. It is also a "binary" port, so there is no compilation. That's because its a closed source product.
Ah, you are so right. This is even mentioned in Section 13.13:

http://openbsd.org/faq/faq13.html#flashplugin
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th September 2009
Banned

I don't know if I did the right thing, but...
I went into the /usr/ports/infrastructure/mk/ folder and edited the bsd make file to have Yes where a few No defaults were. I noticed that PKG_ADD by ftp and PK_UPGRADE were disabled. The port currently building is kde4 and the common error is in the ports makefile. I didn't bother going through the entire make file to see if any other options were defaulted to No.
I'm looking at the problem again and it seems to be the configuration after fetching that goes awry. Any suggestions as to how I can make it work?
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th September 2009
Administrator

Quote:
The port currently building is kde4...
  • KDE4 is present in the ports tree such that the developers can work on a common code base. It is a work in progress, & as such is not installable. See the following from the ports@ archives for similar information:

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=124547836427512&w=2
  • It is still not clear from any information presented whether you have a compatible version of the ports tree installed. If you are running OpenBSD 4.5-release, you can only use the ports tree:
    • which is found on the official 4.5 CD set, or...
    • download pub/OpenBSD/4.5/ports.tar.gz found on all the official mirror sites.
    If you downloaded pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/ports.tar.gz, you downloaded an incompatible version of the ports tree for OpenBSD 4.5-release. This is a mismatch of versions & is not supported by the Project. See the previously provided link for more information.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th September 2009
More noise than signal

Quote:
I don't know if I did the right thing, but...
I went into the /usr/ports/infrastructure/mk/ folder and edited the bsd make file...
This is the "wrong" thing.

When you update your /usr/ports tree for 4.6, 4.7, or, perhaps -current, you will lose your changes.

The best practice for such local modifications is to create /etc/mk.conf and place your environment variable settings there.