DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th April 2017
amphibious
-Guest-

Default Chrome and Firefox Phishing Attack Uses Domains Identical to Known Safe Sites

April 14th, 2017

Very interesting reading, Please read through, because this article shows you how you can spoof a website and have it show as secure. I tried it, and yes, it's true.

They set up their own fake site of a healthcare company, with certificate, and yes, you can actually have the same address, with a secure certificate display from firefox and chrome, but it will be a fake website. There is a fix for Firefox, but apparently, there is no fix for Chrome, and I assume that goes for Chromium as well.

https://www.wordfence.com/blog/2017/...code-phishing/

Last edited by amphibious; 19th April 2017 at 03:17 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th April 2017
More noise than signal

Per the link -- which must have been updated -- the fix for Chrome is already in their Canary test release, with production rollout expected in the next several days.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th April 2017
parrot

That is interesting, it seem like they would have made the default setting true, and then the users that
need to use would /could change it,
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th April 2017
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryR View Post
That is interesting, it seem like they would have made the default setting true, and then the users that
need to use would /could change it,
If you refer to firefox, then unfortunately that doesn't seem to be how things work. Many useful UI options have been removed over the years (e.g. javascript "master off switch") and now have to be configured via "about:config" or have vanished altogether - plus the defaults are not always in the end users best interests in terms of privacy and security. The google spyware and geo-location is on by default for example.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th April 2017
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Many useful UI options have been removed over the years (e.g. javascript "master off switch")
A lot of Websites (especially WebApps) today are based on Javascript and disabling Javascript renders these Websites broken and unusable. For some sites there are just small scripts written in Javascript, but for some others major component is Javascript-based program which is communicating with service using HTTP(S) protocol and exchanging data in JSON format.
A lot of Mozilla Firefox users are not IT professionals and don't know what is Javascript, but they want to use them. These users would blame not themselves, but Mozilla for broken Websites.
It is rather understandable why Mozilla has hidden this switch.

Last edited by e1-531g; 20th April 2017 at 09:43 AM.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th April 2017
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1-531g View Post
A lot of Mozilla Firefox users are not IT professionals and don't know what is Javascript, but they want to use them. These users would blame not themselves, but Mozilla for broken Websites.
It is rather understandable why Mozilla has hidden this switch.
No, this could be a good reason for having javascript on by default, but not for removing from the user interface a switch to turn javascript off entirely for who don't want it.
The world doesn't live off jam and fancy perfumes - it lives off bread and meat and potatoes. Nothing changes. All the big fancy stuff is sloppy stuff that crashes. I don't need dancing baloney - I need stuff that works. -- Theo de Raadt
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th April 2017
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxnix View Post
No, this could be a good reason for having javascript on by default, but not for removing from the user interface a switch to turn javascript off entirely for who doesn't want it.
I think that anybody who understands what he is doing disabling Javascript can found about "about:config" settings page or at least be informed enough to install NoScript extension.