DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd November 2009
New User

Default Installation question, Dualboot Windows XP

ello guys wanted to know how I do to install OpenBSD 4.6. if it was that easy, but I have Windows XP SP3 and I would not lose all data on your hard disk. the idea would get a mixed Windows XP SP3/OpenBSD 4.6

for now many thanks and your help will be appreciated!
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd November 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr40 View Post
...wanted to know how I do to install OpenBSD 4.6.
Those new to OpenBSD should take the time to seriously study the FAQ. Section 4 in particular covers installation issues, however, you will be saving yourself significant frustration by studying the entirety of this document now.
Quote:
...but I have Windows XP SP3 and I would not lose all data on your hard disk. the idea would get a mixed Windows XP SP3/OpenBSD 4.6
Yes, you can preserve the contents currently on disk, however, it is always a good idea to backup important information -- especially when embarking upon radical changes to the disk. Mistakes happen to those both new & experienced alike. Backing up data is wise insurance.

It sounds like you are wanting to have a Windows XP installation reside on the same disk as OpenBSD 4.6. Multibooting with Windows XP is covered in Section 4.9. Other boot managers can be used, but the FAQ focuses on using Microsoft's boot manager.

Lastly, if you are wanting to access NTFS partitions while in OpenBSD, you will need to enable NTFS in the kernel followed by rebuilding as this feature is considered experimental & is not part of the default configuration. It is considered safe to read NTFS partitions. The same is not true for writing. More information can be found in Section 14.16.