DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD Installation and Upgrading

NetBSD Installation and Upgrading Have trouble getting NetBSD on your toaster?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th July 2013
Port Guard

Default X11 and Haswell Intel 4600

I recently made the jump from Debian to NetBSD. When I installed NetBSD, I opted for the Installation without X11. Afterwards I installed the modular-xorg-server.

I clearly have issues with my graphics driver. I do not think that it is yet supported, but I am able to get things working with the vesa driver. The problem I am experiencing is that, whenever I run say

X -config /root/xorg.conf.new
or
startx

even if the display is ok, I can not exit this interface without having to perform a hard reset. Even when I am in the tvm environment, if I type 'reboot' or I exit, my screen dies on me and I am forced to reset. How do I even begin to try and figure out what is wrong?

It should be noted that I also have 'debian wheezy' installed on another partition and it has the same problems, that is, when I log out of gnome or reboot or shutdown, I lose display and I am eventually forced to reset manually.

The chip is
Haswell i5-4430 with intel HD 4600 graphics (onboard)

I am happy to wait for the proper intel driver (which from my understanding may take some time) and use the vesa, but this loss of display/stuck place I go to whenever I reset/logout or shutdown sucks a bit to be honest.

Has anyone else had such issues and if so, where lies the solution? I am not too keen on a graphics card but if thats the only solution ...

Please help.

Tags
display, haswell, hd4600, intel, x11