DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th July 2011
New User

Default OBSD 4.9 Frustrating kernel panic on boot

Hi everyone,

I'm have a very frustrating time with a kernel panic on an OBSD 4.9 install and am hoping somebody can help.

The installation process goes smoothly. I can get everything configured fine, and the system boots properly for several reboots and complete shutdowns. However, after a seemingly random period of time, a kernel panic pops up out of nowhere, even if the system is just sitting there doing nothing:

panic: kernel diagnostic assertion "ccb->ccb_xa.state == ATA_S_ONCHIP" failed: file "../../../../dev/pci/ahci.c", line 2776
Stopped at Debugger+0x5: leave

Once this panic happens the first time, it happens every time during subsequent boots and the system never gets back up and running.

I have read elsewhere that similar panics can be caused by AHCI SATA problems. I have disabled AHCI in the BIOS and tried running my SATA boot drive in IDE mode. This does not solve the problem.

I have reinstalled OBSD multiple times now, in a couple cases setting the BIOS to run the hard drive in IDE mode from the start. The story is always the same: the system runs fine through multiple shutdowns and reboots for some length of time less than 12 hours, but the kernel panic eventually pops up and renders the system unbootable.

I'm totally out of ideas and would really appreciate any feedback. Part of me thinks I should just return the "Giada" motherboard I'm using and replace it with something by a more reputable company like Intel, but I would really prefer to make this setup work if it's at all possible.

Sean
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th July 2011
Banned

Have you tried a snapshot? a lot of changes have been happening all over the tree.. it is possible this was fixed.

It always makes sense to try the latest code before reporting problems.