DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd August 2011
Fdisk Soldier

Default Where to begin with GUI as a frontend for command line?

As I'm trying to learn more stuff, I think it would be interesting to learn how to construct a gui for replacing command line tools (which is something I don't wanna do, just for learning purposes).

I know that this question is very general, but where do I begin? I have a first target to build a simple frontend to openssl for encrypting/decrypting files.

p.s. I'm not asking for a complete walkthrough, but a guide on -how- to do things and what approach is better and why. I just don't know where to begin.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd August 2011
Administrator

Check bxpkg which is a graphical GTK frontend for the pkg_* tools, its in the Ports of course.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd August 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
Check bxpkg which is a graphical GTK frontend for the pkg_* tools, its in the Ports of course...
Unless Daffy is changing affiliations, bxpkg is only available for FreeBSD, & FreeBSD's package tools.

Perhaps the simplest cross-platform solution is to learn the Tk extensions to Tcl. This begins a descent into programming solutions, & I don't recall Daffy mentioning any previous programming experience. Depending upon what packages are already installed, Tcl might already be installed in your OpenBSD environment as a dependency to other packages. Many Tcl/Tk tutorials can be found on the Internet.

In my opinion, if you are going to begin learning a programming language, learn Python. The Tk extensions (the same mentioned above for Tcl...) are also part of a standard Python installation. wxPython (also available in OpenBSD's package system as py-wxPython...) is a much more robust GUI library available to Python. Some beginning tutorial presentation can be found at the wxPython site:

http://wxpython.org/

There are no simple GUI building tools. Constructing an X11 interface requires programming experience. Unless you have already started down this path, don't expect to knock out complicated software in a few nights of dabbling. Programming takes time to master.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd August 2011
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
Check bxpkg which is a graphical GTK frontend for the pkg_* tools, its in the Ports of course.
Actually It's not a front-end.
It implements library to handle ports, and that library does all the dirty stuff.

bxpkg doesn't use pkg_* tools at all
http://hg.bsdroot.lv/expl/bxpkg
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd August 2011
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat
In my opinion, if you are going to begin learning a programming language, learn Python.
I'll second that
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd August 2011
Fdisk Soldier

ocicat, you're right. OpenBSD user here, so I followed your proposal and began reading about wxPython.

For programming experience, again you're right. I have none. I've only read two books for Python, but apart from a dice program (for D&D ) , I've found nothing more to do with it. So I count this as a zero experience. The good thing is that I can follow many things in wxPython's tutorials.

Thank you all. Off I go to more tutorials and achieve my first target.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd August 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffy View Post
...I followed your proposal and began reading about wxPython.
Unfortunately, event-driven GUI programming is frequently not the first topic newcomers delve into when learning a new language.
  • Be aware that the documentation found on the Python site might help fill in lots of gaps:

http://python.org/doc/
  • Mark Pilgrim's Dive into Python books (for Python 2 & Python 3...) are both freely available online. His Python 2 title can also be found as a OpenBSD package.
  • O'Reilly's introductory Python title, Learning Python, is also recommended for getting up to speed.
Note that Python is going through a major transition from Python 2 to Python 3 -- a change large enough that old Python 2 code might not run as is with the newer Python 3 interpreter. Right now, OpenBSD only sports Python 2 in packages, however a Python 3 port is in the works. I don't suspect that the Python 3 port will be available until after OpenBSD 5.0 is released.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd August 2011
Tcpdump Spy

Perhaps you can start by building a curses UI using the curses module. This easier than building something with GTK...
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd August 2011
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
There are no simple GUI building tools. Constructing an X11 interface requires programming experience. Unless you have already started down this path, don't expect to knock out complicated software in a few nights of dabbling. Programming takes time to master.
If you use Python - which I say you should also, you could use the QT toolkit and QTDesigner is a about the easiest to use GUI designer I seen in the *nix world. QTDesigner also intergrates with Eric IDE and there are python bindings for QT. Sorry I don't know about the status of using these on OpenBSD. But all are cross platform as I used them on FreeBSD and Windows.
Arp Constable

Daffy:

One easy way to bring up some command line utilities from a menu is to use the -e option in xterm.
I do this typically with "top" and ncmpc
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=NcMpc
Comment=NCurses Mpd Frontend
Exec=/usr/bin/X11/xterm -e "ncmpc"
Icon=/usr/share/icons/gnome/32x32/mimetypes/audio-x-generic.png
Terminal=false
Categories=AudioVideo;Player;
The above example is from my Debian Desktop so you will need to adjust paths accordingly for BSD

Last edited by shep; 12th August 2011 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Clarified that entry is from Debian

Tags
gui