DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st March 2015
More noise than signal

Default bcallah@ on "Cleaning up software older than me" and an introduction to OpenBSD

One of our active members, ibara, has been an OpenBSD developer for several years. He's recently published two works which may be of interest to our community:
  1. Cleaning up software older than me is his latest blog post on his development activities. This post is about applying modern practices to the mg(1) editor. His archive of "musings" contains about 40 journal entries, which I think will be of interest to all BSD users, and of special interest to users who desire to port applications, becoming port maintainers, or in submitting patches to the OS and perhaps becoming developers themselves.
  2. Wecome to OpenBSD! is a presentation he prepared for the Rensselaer Center for Open Source Spring 2015 meeting. While the intended audience is people who do not know this OS, even those who are very familiar with the OS I'm sure will learn something new. Even me. I knew that pf(4) runs network protection for my car, but until I read this presentation I didn't know that strlcpy(3) was used by my car's service management dbms for proactive security.
Thank you, ibara, for your technical work, your presentations, and your musings!

Last edited by jggimi; 21st March 2015 at 10:21 PM. Reason: typos
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd March 2015
got root?

Both great pieces, thanks ibara!
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd March 2015
Fdisk Soldier

You guys are great !
Thank you for every piece of information you contribute.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd March 2015
OpenBSD language porter

The slides come from a guest lecture I did at my university. There is actually a class at RPI where students work on open source projects with an eye towards social justice for credit; they call it RCOS. I work with the professor who runs that class in some of my graduate work so he asked me to give a guest lecture for last Friday's class. Because why shouldn't the students be working on OpenBSD!

I also soft agreed to be what they call a mentor should a group of students want to do an OpenBSD project for RCOS.

I should also probably do an update on some of those earlier ports entries on the blog since what I do now is different from what I did then
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd March 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibara View Post
The slides come from a guest lecture I did at my university.
Let me know if you will be coming to Pittsburgh area (and when). I just got an idea for Carnegie Mellon UNIX group meeting

Last edited by Oko; 22nd March 2015 at 05:17 PM.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd March 2015
OpenBSD language porter

Pittsburgh isn't in the travel plans right now but I would not be opposed to coming back to CMU.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd March 2015
OpenBSD language porter

Not to pile onto the "me" train but I recently sat down with Will Backman of BSDTalk for an interview. It was released today.
http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/2015/03/...-callahan.html
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd March 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibara View Post
Not to pile onto the "me" train but I recently sat down with Will Backman of BSDTalk for an interview. It was released today.
http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/2015/03/...-callahan.html
Thanks a bunch for this! BTW I didn't know that you were maintaining 101 ports. That is crazy. Do you have any time for your studies?