DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

Old 6th October 2008
Local

Well now it's in the ports tree at ports-mgmt/pkg_add_it.

If there are any feature requests, do you want them posted on this thread, or a PM, or email to you?

If you don't mind them posted here, I think two great features would be:
  1. pkg_add_it has a "dry run" or "list" option where it shows you which packages match a pattern but doesn't actually do anything (i.e. nothing is installed).
  2. pkg_add_it installs /usr/local/etc/pkg_add_it, which contains OSRELEASE=?? and it will not even run until the user/sysadmin updates OSRELEASE to a different value in that file.

My 2 cents. Good work - this is the beginning of a much better package management program.
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomie
If there are any feature requests, do you want them posted on this thread, or a PM, or email to you?
E-mail, PM or posting to this thread would do the job
Quote:
1. pkg_add_it has a "dry run" or "list" option where it shows you which packages match a pattern but doesn't actually do anything (i.e. nothing is installed).
Actually it installs the chosen package - screenshot of installed package here

Quote:
2. pkg_add_it installs /usr/local/etc/pkg_add_it, which contains OSRELEASE=?? and it will not even run until the user/sysadmin updates OSRELEASE to a different value in that file.
During install only two files are being installed - the pkg_add_it executable in /usr/local/sbin/pkg_add_it and the manual page in /usr/local/man/man1/. There is nothing installed under /usr/local/etc/pkg_add_it

OSRELEASE is an environment variable which value should be set to 6.2-release, 7.0-release, 8-current, etc. depending on what release you are running. This variable also tells pkg_add_it from which directory on the FreeBSD FTP server to fetch the packages - 6.2-release, 7.0-release, etc..

pkg_add_it will run even if this variable is not set by default - then it uses a default value which is 8-current

I've added this variable so if someone running for example FreeBSD-6.2-RELEASE want's to install new version of a given package which is under the 7.0-release would set OSRELEASE=7.0-release and install the package successfuly. That is why this variable is not set by default to the output of uname -r for example.

Cheers,
DNAeon

Last edited by DNAeon; 6th October 2008 at 10:33 PM.
Old 6th October 2008
Local

@DNAeon: those were my feature requests. (I've tested out your app, and #s 1 and 2 were changes I think would be useful.) If I have others I'll send a PM or email.

Thanks for considering them.
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomie View Post
@DNAeon: those were my feature requests. (I've tested out your app, and #s 1 and 2 were changes I think would be useful.) If I have others I'll send a PM or email.

Thanks for considering them.
Sorry, I have misunderstood you the first time

Yeap, I'll have in mind your feature requests

Best regards,
DNAeon
Old 13th October 2008
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomie View Post
A --list option has been implemented!
Update your ports tree

--
DNAeon

Last edited by DNAeon; 14th October 2008 at 08:45 AM.
Old 14th October 2008
Local

If you haven't already seen it, Dru put up a short review of your new pkg_add_it on one of her blogs: http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/bsd-guru/pkg_add_it-27582

(originally spotted on freebsdnews.net)
Shell Scout

Thanks for the links!

I didn't know that

Useful links: FreeBSD Handbook | FreeBSD Developer's Handbook | The Porter's Handbook | PF User's Guide | unix-heaven.org