DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th July 2009
Fdisk Soldier

Default New User - Ports Install and GNOME Pkg problems

Greetings to all:

I'm IronForge - a BSD Newbie. Been a Linux user for 6 yrs or so. Had some hackers break down my system for awhile, so I decided to install OpenBSD. I've few situations I need your input on:

1) I tried dowloading the -STABLE Ports Collection (boy did it take awhile -Ha!); and came up with several incomplete compilings (let it run overnight...). When I try to patch the ports up (after "making clean"), I get the following:

? port genre/product_name/product_component/w-packagename

for example:
? x11/gtk+/w-gtk+-1.2.10p7

I've about 60 of these. The problem is, that for this example, I can't make uninstall, reinstall, or pkg_delete since the package is bound to libdv-0.104p2.

What's going on here? Does the "w-" prefix indicate a problem as well, since when I (make) reinstalled another port on the list, "cvs -q up"-ing (haven't RTFM completely -sorry) still gives me the "? w-package-info-tree" again?

2) After my initial ports make-install, I tried to install Gnome. I do have the gdm up; but the windowing environment is still FVWM... The good news is, I can call several apps (gedit, epiphany). Per the aforementioned example, the gtk+ and other ports are in a "bind". I presume this is related.

Any fixes, steps to take is greatly appreciated.

Regards
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th July 2009
Fdisk Soldier

One more thing, to help save a step...

I've already made a ".xinitrc" (copy of the original in my user home directory) and commented off the generic clock applet, and fvwm session; and replaced it with "gnome-session" per other threads.

Could it be these entries from the original ~/.xinitirc:

userresources=$HOME/.Xresources
usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
sysresources=/etc/X11/xinit/.Xresources
sysmodmap=/etc/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap

? Thank you.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th July 2009
Fdisk Soldier

Default One more ports install issue

Greetings:

I also found out that I don't have a "Xenacaro" Directory and my xobj Directory is empty. I asked for "all" pkg sets and X be utilized on the Install CD.

I can mkdir and build from the FAQ/Support pages; but seems to me something's awry from the install process. Sent an email to gnats@openbsd.

What else should be done?

Thanks.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th July 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronForge View Post
...and came up with several incomplete compilings (let it run overnight...).
It is unclear whether you are stating that downloading the ports tree failed or whether you were actually trying to build all applications. In either event, it would be beneficial to become conversant with the information found in Section 15 of the FAQ:

http://openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html

Studying the ports(7) manpage would also be very useful.

In general (& this is a prominent statement made in Section 15.1...), there is little need to build packages manually from the ports tree. Many packages are already available at the mirrors. Many newcomers to OpenBSD believe that building packages are preferred when in fact there is no difference between manually building packages & using what is already available unless the makefiles themselves are altered.
Quote:
I also found out that I don't have a "Xenacaro" Directory and my xobj Directory is empty.
Correct. Source for the following:
  • the operating system
  • ports
  • Xenocara
...are not installed by default. This is covered in Section 5.3 - 5.5 of the FAQ:

http://openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html#Bld
Quote:
(haven't RTFM completely -sorry)
You are only cheating yourself. You will save yourself significant time & aggravation now if you take the time to study this document. More than merely an FAQ, this is the single best (& only official) how-to document which describes the whole of OpenBSD.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th July 2009
Fdisk Soldier

Default Build Error on Xenocara

Thanks, ocicat:

Had a few reference pages up in addition to the Man pages.

I tried to make-install the ports. It failed overnight.

I did try the CVSROOT functions and update the src and ports that way. Still get the "w-pkgname" listings; but presume the upgrades went.

Rebuilt the Kernel and Binanries to follow -STABLE.

Tried to make build the Xenocara directory per Faq5 (checkout from anoncvs); but encountered Code1 Errors.

They are
/usr/xenorcara/lib/libdrm/intel (line 92 of /usr/share/mk/sys.mk)

# C
.c:
${LINK.c} -o ${.TARGET} ${.IMPSRC} ${LDLIBS}
.c.o:
${COMPILE.c} ${.IMPSRC} LINE 92
.c.a:
${COMPILE.c} ${.IMPSRC}
${AR} ${ARFLAGS} $@ $*.o
rm -f $*.o
.c.ln:
${LINT} ${LINTFLAGS} ${CFLAGS:M-[IDU]*} ${CPPFLAGS:M-[IDU]*} -i ${.IMPSRC}

/usr/xenorcara/lib/libdrm (line 48 of /usr/share/mk/bsd.subdir.mk)
.if !defined(BSD_OWN_MK) LINE 46
. include <bsd.own.mk> LINE 47
.endif LINE 48

/usr/xenorcara/lib/libdrm

.if !target(build)
.if exists(Makefile.bsd-wrapper)
_wrapper = -f Makefile.bsd-wrapper
.endif
build:
cd ${.CURDIR} && exec ${MAKE} ${_wrapper} cleandir LINE 203
cd ${.CURDIR} && exec ${MAKE} ${_wrapper} depend
cd ${.CURDIR} && exec ${MAKE} ${_wrapper} all
cd ${.CURDIR} && exec ${SUDO} ${MAKE} ${_wrapper} install
.endif

/usr/xenorcara/lib (line 48 of /usr/share/mk/bsd.subdir.mk)
per above
/usr/xenorcara (line 48 of /usr/share/mk/bsd.subdir.mk)
per above

Should I ignore this error? Can't find any error logs for xenocara builds; and There's no Bug buddy (still in a GDM/FVWM hybrid mode.)

Pls advise. Thanks.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th July 2009
Administrator

Quote:
I tried to make-install the ports. It failed overnight.
Again, it is unclear why you are attempting to build applications through compilation as opposed to simply installing the pre-compiled packages. There is no functional difference between -release & -stable, so installing -release packages is intended. Some packages have been updated for -stable, but you have not mentioned any specific reason why you are building.
Quote:
Still get the "w-pkgname" listings; but presume the upgrades went.
Per Section 15.3.1 (emphasis added...):
Quote:
When a user issues make(1) in the subdirectory of a specific port, the system will recursively walk its dependency tree, check whether the required dependencies are installed, build and install any missing dependencies, and then continue the build of the desired port. All of the building happens inside the working directory that the port creates. Normally it is under ${WRKOBJDIR}, defaulting to /usr/ports/obj, but you may override this (see Configuration of the ports system). If WRKOBJDIR has been explicitly unset, a subdirectory of the port's main directory (package name prefixed by "w-") will be used instead.
Quote:
Tried to make build the Xenocara directory per Faq5 (checkout from anoncvs); but encountered Code1 Errors.
You should ensure that you downloaded the correct version of the tree. If you retrieved the head of CVS (which is -current) instead of explicitly specifying the OPENBSD_4_5 tag (for -stable), this may explain why you are getting weird build errors.
Quote:
Should I ignore this error?
No. Be sure that you completely understand what code is to be fetched as outlined in Section 5.3.3 & 5.5.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th July 2009
Fdisk Soldier

Default Still getting errors building Xenocara

ocicat:

Thanks for the input. I read from several sources on how to initialize ports after install - I read the importance of ports before; and tried FreeBSD where pkgs/ports updates were done via portsnap (which was straightforward for me). I also had print media for the FreeBSD install available.

I've been hacked rather heavily these past weeks; and decided to move to BSD. Some hacker broke into my FreeBSD install and deleted the "getty" terminal login file, so I couldn't boot.

Instead of trying to fix it, I decided to go with OpenBSD for the increased security.

I did review the faq_chpt 5.5 Minor point - don't know if it's an editorial error or a glitch in the install - the section implies that /usr/xenocara is prexistant in the installed system prior to the build with its reference to the README file at the beginning - I didn't have the directory at all.

I tried to build Xenocara again - making sure that I had the -STABLE tree checked out. I'm getting the same errors - posted the last pkg the build was working on:

===> lib/libdrm/intel
cc -O2 -pipe -g -I/usr/xenocara/lib/libdrm/intel -I/usr/xenocara/lib/libdrm/intel/.. -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include/dev/pci/drm -c /usr/xenocara/lib/libdrm/intel/intel_bufmgr.c -o intel_bufmgr.o
cc -O2 -pipe -g -I/usr/xenocara/lib/libdrm/intel -I/usr/xenocara/lib/libdrm/intel/.. -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include/dev/pci/drm -c /usr/xenocara/lib/libdrm/intel/intel_bufmgr_fake.c -o intel_bufmgr_fake.o
cc -O2 -pipe -g -I/usr/xenocara/lib/libdrm/intel -I/usr/xenocara/lib/libdrm/intel/.. -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include/dev/pci/drm -c /usr/xenocara/lib/libdrm/intel/intel_bufmgr_gem.c -o intel_bufmgr_gem.o
/usr/xenocara/lib/libdrm/intel/intel_bufmgr_gem.c: In function `drm_intel_bufmgr_gem_init':
/usr/xenocara/lib/libdrm/intel/intel_bufmgr_gem.c:1412: error: `I915_PARAM_NUM_FENCES_AVAIL' undeclared (first use in this function)
/usr/xenocara/lib/libdrm/intel/intel_bufmgr_gem.c:1412: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/usr/xenocara/lib/libdrm/intel/intel_bufmgr_gem.c:1412: error: for each function it appears in.)
*** Error code 1

xobj was wiped out per the FAQ, should I have cleared out any other directory before my 2nd attempt?
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th July 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Instead of trying to fix it, I decided to go with OpenBSD for the increased security.
As a caution, security is a process & has to be dealt with as a whole. Throwing OpenBSD at a problem may or may not fix an ill-defined situation. If access is the fundamental issue, you may want to focus on how access is being acheieved -- firewall rules, physical access to the boxen, etc.
Quote:
I tried to build Xenocara again - making sure that I had the -STABLE tree checked out. I'm getting the same errors - posted the last pkg the build was working on:

===> lib/libdrm/intel
cc -O2 -pipe -g -I/usr/xenocara/lib/libdrm/intel -I/usr/xenocara/lib/libdrm/intel/.. -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include/dev/pci/drm -c /usr/xenocara/lib/libdrm/intel/intel_bufmgr.c -o intel_bufmgr.o
cc -O2 -pipe -g -I/usr/xenocara/lib/libdrm/intel -I/usr/xenocara/lib/libdrm/intel/.. -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include/dev/pci/drm -c /usr/xenocara/lib/libdrm/intel/intel_bufmgr_fake.c -o intel_bufmgr_fake.o
cc -O2 -pipe -g -I/usr/xenocara/lib/libdrm/intel -I/usr/xenocara/lib/libdrm/intel/.. -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include/dev/pci/drm -c /usr/xenocara/lib/libdrm/intel/intel_bufmgr_gem.c -o intel_bufmgr_gem.o
/usr/xenocara/lib/libdrm/intel/intel_bufmgr_gem.c: In function `drm_intel_bufmgr_gem_init':
/usr/xenocara/lib/libdrm/intel/intel_bufmgr_gem.c:1412: error: `I915_PARAM_NUM_FENCES_AVAIL' undeclared (first use in this function)
/usr/xenocara/lib/libdrm/intel/intel_bufmgr_gem.c:1412: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/usr/xenocara/lib/libdrm/intel/intel_bufmgr_gem.c:1412: error: for each function it appears in.)
*** Error code 1
Two issues:
  • As a minor terminology nit, packages are not the result of building Xenocara. The build process is creating object files, binaries, & libraries. Packages are created only through the ports system.
  • The error provided gives an indication to what is occurring. According to the CVS Web interface for xenocara/lib/libdrm/intel/intel_bufmgr_gem.c:

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvswe...1.2;r2=1.1;f=h

The symbol I915_PARAM_NUM_FENCES_AVAIL is introduced in 4.5-current (now 4.6-current). It was not available in the OPENBSD_4_5 CVS branch. It appears that you have not downloaded the source base for 4.5-stable.
Quote:
xobj was wiped out per the FAQ, should I have cleared out any other directory before my 2nd attempt?
No, however the wrong source branch appears to have been downloaded. To build Xenocara for 4.5-stable, the appropriate steps are:

# cd /usr
# cvs -qdanoncvs@anoncvs.example.org:/cvs checkout -rOPENBSD_4_5 -P xenocara
# cd /usr/xenocara
# rm -rf /usr/xobj/*
# make bootstrap
# make obj
# make build

You will want to delete the contents of /usr/xenocara/* & /usr/xobj/* before attempting again.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th July 2009
Fdisk Soldier

Default Xenocara installed

Thanks, ocicat:

Man, that was something. My first omission on the tree reference - my bust. I referenced the -STABLE branch the second time (on my own - before your last entry) and "rm -rf"'d xobj (per instructions; but didn't "rm" the xenocara directory. Third time (today) was a charm.

So I have Xenocara up. I've updated the ports via CVSROOT; and will remove the "w-" directories (btw, tried "w-" on the text search at openbsd.org several times - too many other similar text coughed up on the query). Teaches me to read instead of scanning the reference matl.

Gnome no longer is a mystery. Tooled around with the gdm... do have the Desktop up on login now...how embarrassing. Guess I was too used to be on Fedora, Ubuntu, and SuSE, where a desktop was already chosen as a default. Never took the time to "discover" other Desktops, since I had liveCDs of other distros that had them.

I appreciate your input ocicat; and hope I didn't waste too much of your time.

Best regards

Last edited by IronForge; 14th July 2009 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Solution Found
Old 14th July 2009
Administrator

I'm glad it all worked out.

BTW, welcome to OpenBSD!