DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD General

NetBSD General Other questions regarding NetBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th April 2011
Port Guard

Default OpenGrok from pkgsrc

Hi everyone:

My question is about the Opengrok source browser in pkgsrc and also in FreeBSD's ports. I am interested in building it from source on NetBSD, however I'm concerned it might not build because of it's dependency on Java. Has anyone recently installed this on any of the BSD's?

I recently tried installing the binary version via FreeBSD (pkg_add -r) however that failed due to the dependencies presumably having been removed since Sun was bought out.

In NetBSD's pkgsrc, it gives a link to an old opensolaris page which states a requirement for the latest Java, which of course takes you to an oracle site which has Java downloads but only for Solaris, Linux, Windows, and OSX.

I apologize for not providing any links, as I'm a new member there is a restriction about my not being able to post links yet....
Any info is appreciated
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th April 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilsgecko View Post
My question is about the Opengrok source browser in pkgsrc and also in FreeBSD's ports. I am interested in building it from source on NetBSD, however I'm concerned it might not build because of it's dependency on Java. Has anyone recently installed this on any of the BSD's?
Given that pkgsrc already has a port of OpenGrok, these issues have already been been resolved by whoever originated the port.

You are correct stating that you will not be able to download a NetBSD version from Oracle's Website. When it comes to third-party applications, it is best to stay with what the project provides in pkgsrc unless a newer version addresses some specific need, & you are familiar with how to port applications. Java is already ported to NetBSD, & information can be found at pkgsrc.se:

http://pkgsrc.se/wip/jdk16
Quote:
In NetBSD's pkgsrc, it gives a link to an old opensolaris page which states a requirement for the latest Java, which of course takes you to an oracle site which has Java downloads but only for Solaris, Linux, Windows, and OSX.
I am not a regular NetBSD user, but I suspect what you are describing is similar to what OpenBSD does in its build of the JDK -- direct users to specific sites to get specific files because of licensing reasons. We don't get a lot of NetBSD traffic at this site; you will get more pointed information by posting to NetBSD's netbsd-users@ mailing list and/or to port-i386@ if this is specifically for i386. Information on subscribing can be found at the following:

http://netbsd.org/mailinglists/

Good luck.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th April 2011
Port Guard

Thank you for the clarification ocicat. I will let the list know if I am successful with the install of OpenGrok. Regards

Tags
java