DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th October 2017
parrot

Default FireFox on OpenBsd

Yesterday I needed to upload a document to a site, and I could not do this
when using FireFox, on OpenBsd. However I could down load with no problem.
So I tried using a old Debian 7 version I have on a portable usb drive, I booted with
that, and using Iceweasle, I was able to upload the document.
At first I had thought it was the website, but obviously that was not the problem

Is there some setting/config either in FireFox, or on OpenBsd that I am not aware of ?
I looked at the FireFox preferences, and could not find anything. Thinking it might be
something related to enable or disable Java scripts.

Oddly, on another website/forum, for example here , I have no problem uploading attachments or images
using Fire Fox and OpenBsd, so that was what made me think it was the website.
Any ideas on this ?

Thanks

Last edited by PapaParrot; 18th October 2017 at 06:29 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th October 2017
Spam Deminer

You haven't described what actually happens when you try to upload files? If you're using the website's own (presumably javascript based) upload facility, then it may spawn a "file chooser" dialogue box. Is it this dialogue which fails to appear or is it more network related failure you're referring to?

If, not the latter and you run firefox from the terminal and observe the output when you try to upload, you may see something useful...
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th October 2017
More noise than signal

Firewall setting (port blocked), perhaps?

There is guidance in the pkg-readme regarding profile settings and trace/log collection. The latter requires a good deal of work.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th October 2017
parrot

Quote:
then it may spawn a "file chooser" dialogue box. Is it this dialogue which fails
Yes , exactly , actually it says "browse", which normally I would be able to browse/choose the file, and
then upload, but it appears that "file chooser" or "browse" button is what does not work.
Thanks
Quote:
If, not the latter and you run firefox from the terminal and observe the output when you try to upload, you may see something useful.
I didn't think of that, I will try that as well.
----------- edit --------------
There was not any output when I tried to use the "browse"(file chooser) option. This is all I got for output:
Code:
$ firefox https://XXXXXXXXXXremoved--for privacy
firefox:/usr/local/lib/libicuuc.so.12.0: /usr/local/lib/libicudata.so.12.0 : WARNING: symbol(icudt58_dat) size mismatch, relink your program
ATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by environment.
console.warn: nsLoginManager: searchLogins: `formSubmitURL` or `httpRealm` is recommended
console.warn: nsLoginManager: searchLogins: `formSubmitURL` or `httpRealm` is recommended

Last edited by PapaParrot; 17th October 2017 at 04:13 PM.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th October 2017
Spam Deminer

If the file chooser dialogue works on this site, then I can only assume that your website's script does not call the file chooser. Do you have script blocking addons or any addons installed?

I've tested www/seamonkey, www/firefox and www/iridium ports and all spawn the file chooser as you'd expect.

Are you running 6.2-release?
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th October 2017
parrot

Thanks,
NO script blocking addons or any addons installed.
YES, file chooser dialogue works on this site.

And other sites as well, except the 1 , which is why at first I thought it is their site,
But then the guy on the other end, was able to upload, and I down loaded fine, I needed
to download the doc, print it, and sign it. Then upload a copy of the signed doc, and I couldn't upload, with FireFox, on OpenBsd. 6.1
The last time I had uploaded anything to this particular site was over 2 years ago, and at
that time I was using Debian 7, and since I still have it on a portable USB drive, I decided
to give that a try, it is so old, it still has Iceweasle, but to my surprise it worked good and
I was able to do the upload.

Quote:
Are you running 6.2-release?
No , have not upgraded yet. That might make a difference.

I am going to try Seamonkey, and see if it is any difference.

Thanks
----------- edited ---------
I tried with Seamonkey but get the same results, it does not spawn the file chooser as expected.
but the upload would work .

Last edited by PapaParrot; 19th October 2017 at 02:41 PM.