DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th November 2017
λ programmer

Default cannot use remote desktop

The OpenBSD 6.2, as a guest of Virtualbox on Windows XP, runs normally. And `c:\netstat -na` shows "TCP 0.0.0.0:3389 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING"

So far so good, However, `c:\mstsc /v:127.0.0.1` reports error which translated as "cannot build new console session" .

Regards!

Last edited by sw2wolf; 8th November 2017 at 01:25 AM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th November 2017
Spam Deminer

127.0.0.1 is the loopback of the Windows host. It goes nowhere.

What is the IP of your VM? Try that.

Success is also going to depend on the kind of networking you set up for the VM. Bridged or NAT. If it's NAT, you have to also forward the port to the VM.

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th November 2017
More noise than signal

The loopback address is correct if the RDP server is the Virtualbox application, and the RDP client is on the same workstation.

If I understand this issue -- and I may not -- sw2wolf is attempting to use this Virtualbox remote access feature, which does not involve networking on the guest virtual machine.

If my understanding is correct, this is a "Virtualbox on Windows" configuration problem, and has nothing to do with OpenBSD at all.

Last edited by jggimi; 7th November 2017 at 05:46 PM. Reason: clarity
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th November 2017
Spam Deminer

Oh, Thanks I didn't know that was a thing. I always used the VirtualBox console.

I did notice in the docs though:
Quote:
When connecting to localhost in order to test the connection, the addresses localhost and 127.0.0.1 might not work using mstsc.exe. Instead, the address 127.0.0.2[:3389] has to be used.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th November 2017
More noise than signal

I didn't know it was a thing, either.

This problem would be have been better to discuss with the Virtualbox user community, rather than here. It is likely caused by a relatively simple provisioning issue, such as the guidance you found.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th November 2017
λ programmer

Thanks for all your answer. The host(XP) is 192.168.1.2 and the VM(openbsd) is 192.168.1.88

C:\>ping 192.168.1.88

Pinging 192.168.1.88 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.88: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=255

c:\mstsc /v:192.168.1.2
The messages is same as `c:\mstsc /v:127.0.0.1`.

Regards!

Last edited by sw2wolf; 8th November 2017 at 05:20 AM.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th November 2017
More noise than signal

If you want to operate any virtual machine's console via VirtualBox's RDP service, you must correctly provision VirtualBox and the RDP client.

Support for VirtualBox is available there --->>> https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Community

Attempting to connect an RDP client to OpenBSD directly will not work. OpenBSD does not have an RDP server.

Last edited by jggimi; 8th November 2017 at 01:34 AM. Reason: clarity
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th November 2017
λ programmer

Mybe RDP is relative to VBox. Then i tried samba. From `smbclient -L 127.0.0.1` on openbsd(192.168.1.88), i know samba has been started normally. And `smbpasswd` has added the user into samba.

On XP(192.168.1.2) i run cmd and `c:\net use * \\192.168.1.88\share` and input the correct user and password. But it always reports "unknown user or password".

Regards!
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th November 2017
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw2wolf View Post
Mybe RDP is relative to VBox.
This will be my final attempt to explain a "console" to you.

On PC hardware, a console consists of 3 components.
  1. a graphical display
  2. a keyboard
  3. an optional mouse.
Since the IBM PC was first released in 1981, the connection types and capabilities have changed, but these three peripheral devices remain in place.
Code:
keyboard - [Standard PC] - graphical display 
                |
               mouse
Question: How many peripheral devices make up a "console" on a standard PC?

Answer: Two or three. A graphical display, a keyboard, and an optional mouse.

Question: How many of these peripheral devices are connected via my network interface?

Answer: Zero. None of these devices connect to a standard PC via a network.

Question: How do I use these devices over my network?

Answer: With software. You need software that transmits graphical information over the network, and you need software that transmits keystrokes and mouse movements over the network.

Question: Where do I put that software?

Answer: In two places. You need software at both ends of the network connection. 1) Software on the remote workstation that displays graphics and transmits keystrokes and mouse movements. 2) Software on the platform that is to be operated remotely, that will capture and transmit graphics and that will accept and apply keystrokes and mouse movements.

Question: What software does this?

Answer: The X Windows system. The platform-independent Virtual Network Computing ("VNC") protocol. Microsoft's proprietary Remote Desktop Protocol ("RDP"), and dozens of other proprietary software solutions. All require software at both ends of the network connection to manage the information flow.

Question: I want to use Microsoft's RDP for a remote conection. What do I need?

Answer: You need an RDP client, such as Microsoft's Terminal Services Client, mstsc.exe. And you need an RDP server, too, such as Microsoft's Terminal Services Server. Or VirtualBox, as noted much earlier in this thread. VirtualBox states that they have an RDP server solution to manage virtual machine consoles remotely.

Question: I have misconfigured my Windows and VirtualBox environment, such that I cannot get RDP working between the RDP client, mstsc.exe, and the VirtualBox RDP server. Who or what should should I blame for this?

Answer: Blame OpenBSD!
Quote:
Then i tried samba.
This is a different problem, so you should start a new thread. The admins prefer new threads for new problems. In my opinion, there is insufficient information in this report for anyone to help you with this new problem.

Last edited by jggimi; 10th November 2017 at 06:17 PM. Reason: , -> . / accepts -> transmits