DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th November 2017
Shell Scout

Default How to get percentage written so far in file copy operation?

deleted

Last edited by Prevet; 2nd December 2022 at 04:04 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th November 2017
More noise than signal

Try using a file copy tool other than cp(1). I can think of two that can report progress:
  • ftp(1) can be used to copy a local file, see the "file:" directive in the synopsis and AUTO-FETCHING FILES sections of the ftp(1) man page, and the -m option. You've seen the ftp() progress meter during OpenBSD installation.
  • dd(1) will report blocks transferred and bytes/second when stty(1) STATUS is requested. The user typically sets this to CTRL-T, with $ stty status ^t.

Last edited by jggimi; 25th November 2017 at 01:11 PM. Reason: records -> blocks for dd()
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th November 2017
parrot

Quote:
The other is the file managers I have tried crash when I try to cross the boundary from the main hard drive to the mounts.
Well, since you either need to use "doas" or be root to mount the device it is not good
to try to use a file manager as root any way,.. How exactly are you mounting the device?
I have no problems using "thunar", as a normal user , after I have mounted the device.
I mount it in my home dir, and can use the file manager , as a normal user. No crashes.

===============================

Last edited by PapaParrot; 25th November 2017 at 07:20 PM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th November 2017
Fdisk Soldier

When I want to check on copying progress to a mounted filesystem I open another xterm (or tmux window) and run 'df -h' every once in a while.

Last edited by johnR; 25th November 2017 at 03:58 PM.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th November 2017
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
The user typically sets this to CTRL-T, with $ stty status ^t.
+1000000 for SIGINFO. It's one of the best BSD extensions ever.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th November 2017
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnR View Post
When I want to check on copying progress to a mounted filesystem I open another xterm (or tmux window) and run 'df -h' every once in a while.
This is exactly the use case for SIGINFO. Try it (see jggmi's post for how to use it).
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th November 2017
Fdisk Soldier

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibara View Post
This is exactly the use case for SIGINFO. Try it (see jggmi's post for how to use it).
Works great. As a long term Linux user I wasn't aware of this BSD feature (and I'll add that the quality of advice given on this forum was a factor in deciding to switch my desktop PC to OpenBSD recently).

Just to make usage clearer for other OpenBSD noobs like me, set status using 'stty status ^t' as per jggimi's post, start dd, then type ctrl-t while the transfer is taking place to display the current status.

Last edited by johnR; 27th November 2017 at 12:03 PM.