DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd December 2017
Fdisk Soldier

Default growisofs: Cannot allocate memory

Apologies if this is a stupid question. I've just recently switched my desktop PC to OpenBSD 6.2 after many years of using Debian. I've tried to burn a 1.8GB .iso to DVD using the following command as a normal user:
$ growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/rcd0c=file.iso

It works fine if I run it as root, but when run as a user the following error message appears:
:-(unable to allocate 56 bytes: Cannot allocate memory

The user has 'staff' login class and I added /dev/rcd0c to the ttyC0 line in fbtab, so the user has permission to use the device. I can burn CDs with cdrecord as the same user. I suspect I'm running into a memory resource limit, but haven't been able to find where that limit is set (I've looked in login.conf). I tried adding the user to 'staff' group, but it made no difference. Is it possible to raise whatever limit is preventing this from working?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd December 2017
More noise than signal

I'm able to recreate a similar problem in -current, due to the failure of the malloc(3) call at growisofs.c line 2959. I haven't been able to do any diagnostics yet, due to lack of time. It appears to happen while running as the super user, so it is not quite the same problem.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd December 2017
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
I'm able to recreate a similar problem in -current, due to the failure of the malloc(3) call at growisofs.c line 2959. I haven't been able to do any diagnostics yet, due to lack of time. It appears to happen while running as the super user, so it is not quite the same problem.
Thanks for the reply. A malloc failure makes sense. I did try a much smaller .iso and it produced the same error message as before. I'll try and make time to put a bug report together, but it'll take me a while as I'm still learning the system.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd December 2017
Fdisk Soldier

Strange. After a couple of reboots it's now working fine. Earlier the error was reliably reproducible. I'm now wondering if I actually did hit a memory limit, but I didn't have X or any other resource-hungry applications running at the time.
Code:
$ ulimit -a
time(cpu-seconds)    unlimited 
file(blocks)         unlimited
coredump(blocks)     unlimited
data(kbytes)         1572864
stack(kbytes)        4096
lockedmem(kbytes)    1262702
memory(kbytes)       3783848
nofiles(descriptors) 512
processes            256

Last edited by ocicat; 3rd December 2017 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Please use [code] & [/code] tags when posting command output.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd December 2017
More noise than signal

Glad the problem appears to be transient for you. Should it persist you may find the malloc.conf(5) man page helpful for further analysis.