DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like

Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like Any other flavour of BSD or UNIX that does not have a section of its own.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th May 2008
Port Guard

Default resolution too high!!! =| ? what?

yes, my resolution is actually too high! its at like 1200 - 1040 its killing me i gotta turn it down. but it automatically set my resolution and i cant change it. im running as nVidia Ge-Force 7600GS on a 19'' Flat LCD. how can i solve my res problem

im on DesktopBSD btw
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th May 2008
Spam Deminer

Do you config your Xorg.conf and try edit it ??
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th May 2008
Spam Deminer

Run xorgconfig as root or edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th May 2008
Port Guard

i searched for the file and i found it. but when i opened it with Kedit there was nothing in it. do i have to run in terminal or something?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th May 2008
Spam Deminer

You opened it as normal user and the file is read-only?
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th May 2008
VPN Cryptographer

If you have a LCD panel, then you have no choice as to your resolution - It has to be the native resolution of the monitor. Trust me - You do not want the monitor to be resizing - the output is horrid. If you think you have eyestrain looking at your monitor now, just wait until it is all fuzzy, with weird aliasing artifacts.

The solution is to adjust fonts, icon sizes and suchlike in the GUI. The first step is to set the DPI - either in the GUI, or in the xorg.conf file. Then it is a question of adjusting anything that is too small.

The day will come when GUIs will resize gracefully on whatever display they are given. Only then will we get the 150+ dpi resolutions that we need for really good text rendition.

Last edited by robbak; 8th May 2008 at 06:01 AM.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th May 2008
Port Guard

so my monitor is the problem >_< i cant just simply change to 1080!? these little things its what makes windows better. i had 6 - 7 res solutions on there
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th May 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog109 View Post
so my monitor is the problem >_< i cant just simply change to 1080!? these little things its what makes windows better. i had 6 - 7 res solutions on there
Windows is ready-to-use desktop system, aimed at people who do not want (or can't) know anything about computers. I refrain from saying how much it is worth security-wise. Knowing a little about that I get chills when I think some people go online with Windows.
POSIX systems priorities lay elsewhere: security, performance first. Unfortunately, as such these systems are user-friendly, but not noob-friendly. Of course you can change resolution in X server, just read the documentation.
However, if you feel more comfortable in Windows - FOSS does not force nor beg anyone.

Edit: Of course, robbak is right. These screens have the best picture in native resolution only.

Last edited by Speedy; 8th May 2008 at 02:18 PM.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

You missed the point. An LCD looks good only when it runs at its native resolution (or perhaps an integer fraction thereof). It really does look terrible otherwise. Your issue is that you have to adjust how things are rendered (like character sizes) given your monitor's resolution. All of that can be changed to what you like.

You are certainly free to use other resolutions -- you can set it to most anything you want. It just looks awful.
Old 8th May 2008
Port Guard

im mean, as long as i can get my resolution to what i want. Ive been searching through linux distros for years now. and periodically trying new ones (debian-FAILED | Redhat-FAILED | SUSE-FAILED | BT3-FAILED | Fedora-WORKED[wasnt to liking] | Ubuntu-FAILED[resolution stuck at 640-320])

^^^^^ so you can imagine how upset at how many disks ive lost, time ive wasted and the ammount of times ive lost windows due to not reading the partition instructions built in linux. I finaly found this and i would just like it to come out the way i want it. and hopfully i can keep it and love it for a long time.
Old 8th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Try PC-BSD or Desktop BSD then. It will take care of these sorts of things for you. With FreeBSD you have to do all of the setup yourself. It is not hard, but it does take quite some effort to go through it all the first time and get the hang of it.
Old 8th May 2008
Custom Title Maker

An immediate fix, while in Xorg, is to hit Ctrl-Shift-Keypad+ or Ctrl-Shift-Keypad- to change the resolution on the fly. It won't survive a restart of Xorg, but it will give you a taste of other resolutions.
Knuth's homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog109 View Post
what resolution are you using in windows?
Old 8th May 2008
Port Guard

i was using 1080 i had 800, 1080, like...1160, 1140 or somethin and 1260, 12 something and a 13something. but it went out of range on 1260 and the 13 one so i left it at 1080
Old 8th May 2008
Port Guard

Xorg log will tell you what resolutions are available, you can even steal modelines from there.
Old 9th May 2008
Kienja

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ
You missed the point. An LCD looks good only when it runs at its native resolution (or perhaps an integer fraction thereof). It really does look terrible otherwise. Your issue is that you have to adjust how things are rendered (like character sizes) given your monitor's resolution. All of that can be changed to what you like.
I wonder, what is your definition of "resolution" here? There is a set number of physical pixels in an LCD monitor. It is possible to run a "soft" (Dictated by X) resolution that matches the physical number of pixels in the monitor, but in my experience this does not necessarily make things look better. However, I do agree that it is necessary to keep the "soft" resolution in proportion with the physical monitor's resolution. This is probably what seadog109 has been using the entire time in Windows, so this is all he needs to do in FreeBSD.

To seadog109:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog109
im on DesktopBSD btw
This means this post should be in Other Operating Systems ---> Other BSD
I will move it there now.

Quote:
so you can imagine how upset at how many disks ive lost
You should not have lost any disks due to using many versions of Linux, BSD, or Windows on the same hard drive. I have used more versions of Linux than that + Windows XP + BSD on the exact same hard drive without any ill effects.

However, to fix your resolution problem:
  • If you are unable to log in as root, then press Alt+F2 in KDE. Type "su kedit" This should open kedit with root authority.
  • Now open /etc/X11/xorg.conf
  • If you still see nothing in this file, you should run "Xorg -config" in a terminal with root authority.
  • If you do see something in your xorg.conf file now, go to the section titled "Display" and edit this line:
  • Modes "1024x768"
  • See the post below by robbak for more information.

Finally:
Quote:
im running as nVidia Ge-Force 7600GS on a 19'' Flat LCD
Do you have the nVidia graphics driver installed? I highly recommend this. This could even make your resolution problem much easier to control. Rather than following the directions above, do this:

• In a terminal with root authority:
  • *cd /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver
  • make install clean
  • cd /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-settings
  • make install clean
  • cd /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-xconfig
  • make install clean
  • nvidia-xconfig (Still inside the terminal)
  • Now, inside KDE, you should have in the K Menu a NVIDIA control panel where you can change the resolution pretty easily.

*I have never used DesktopBSD, so please correct me if it installs software differently than FreeBSD.
Old 9th May 2008
VPN Cryptographer

OK. Here is the section of the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file that you should be editing. If you do not have one, you can create one, customised for your hardware, with the command
Code:
Xorg -configure
That command will also tell you how to test the file, and where to install it if it works.

All of this is in man xorg.conf
Code:
Section "Screen"
     Subsection "Display"
           Depth 24  #Generally. If you are using 16 or 8 bpp, then this is different. It can be ommitted.
                  Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
     EndSubSection
EndSection
You simply edit the "Modes" line to include the modes that you want it to use. The system scrolls through this list when you use <ctrl><alt><keypad + or ->.
But, to repeat, this is the wrong way to go about it. You should customize the sizes of fonts and wigits to look as you want. Start with changing the "DisplaySize" entry in the "Monitor" Section. Then go looking in your Desktop Environment for further size settings. You'll thank me for it!

Last edited by robbak; 9th May 2008 at 12:28 AM.
Old 9th May 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
It is possible to run a "soft" (Dictated by X) resolution that matches the physical number of pixels in the monitor, but in my experience this does not necessarily make things look better.
The wording is not the best perhaps. I'd say using native resolution is a prerequisite to get perfect display. Also, looking at all those Linux distributions that "failed" I'd say seadog109 has to overcome PEBKAC first. Nothing impossible though.
Old 13th May 2008
New User

Do the followings (using your keyboard when the system is running) ---:
Either
1) Ctrl + '-'

or
2) Ctrl + '+'

will change the screen resolution on the run time.

If you are sure of very hi-resolution and need the same to degrade for your H/w to work; use the second option (Ctrl + '+') and fire it 2-3 times and with each such command the resolution will degrade. For the other case use the 1st option (i.e. Ctrl + '-' to enhance resolution).

Had a similar problem once with FreeBSD 7.0 and the above worked there.

Let me know if the same worked out for you or not.

Last edited by praveen_218; 13th May 2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old 18th October 2008
Shell Scout

Does your BSD have xorg 1.4.x or later? If it does you won't find the resolution stuff in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf. The reason is that xorg 1.4 was ubuntified and now the only way to do the resolution stuff is either displayconfig-gtk (within X11) or the xfix tool (cli, it might be ubuntu-specific).