DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading

FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading FreeBSD.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd April 2009
Shell Scout

Default Going back to FBSD from Linux

When I bought a new hard drive for my thinkpad, I decided to dual boot WinXP and Kubuntu Linux. The main thing that pushed me towards the Linux camp was to satisfy my wife's desire to have the latest version of flash working correctly.

Well, Kubuntu K-blows on my laptop. Wireless is almost useless, even on open networks. Printing was a PITA, even for networked printers (even on open networks). But now I think I've reached my wit's end - Kubuntu will *not* talk to a projector on my laptop. If I'm connected while trying to boot, system crashes. If I connected after booting and logging in, system recognizes the projector but refuses to use it.

None of those were problems in FBSD 6.2-Release on my laptop. I'm considering going for 7.1-Release to replace my Kubuntu install.

Has anyone done this before without reformatting? I suppose I could just wipe out the Linux partitions but I am afraid of losing Grub and the ability to boot back to Windows when needed. I have seen that Grub does work with FBSD; is there anything else I need to watch out for? Can I just go ahead and let FBSD attack the Linux partitions at will and re-slice? I already copied all my data off to my trusty FBSD server at home, so I'm not worried about losing any files. I just want to make sure that after installing FBSD I have a working WinXP/FBSD dual boot.