DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading

FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th April 2009
New User

Default Installing a kernel module afterwards

A little while ago I installed a custom kernel on a machine which in production by now. However, I realize I need the netgraph module, but the module has not been built.

Is there a way to build this module and just put it in the filesystem without replacing the kernel (+ the necessary reboot)?

As far as I can see, I should specify the MODULES_OVERRIDE variable in /etc/make.conf:

Code:
MODULES_OVERRIDE=netgraph
and build the kernel. However, what to do with the resulting module? Should I call 'make installkernel' nevertheless or can I just copy the module into /boot/modules and load it?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th April 2009
VPN Cryptographer

Unless you specifically disabled building the netgraph module, it will have been built. You can load it with 'kldload netgraph'. If you did specifially disable it, it is easy to build, (cd /usr/src/I'm not sure where/netgraph; make clean install clean)?
That said, everything I know about that needs netgraph loads it itself if it does not find it there already. Any guide that instructs you that you need to build netgraph into the kernel is very out of date - I think it's been this way for some - 5 years?