DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th December 2008
New User

Default Latest on the EEE PC 1000 and FreeBSD

I am wondering what is the latest on what is supported by FreeBSD. I would really like to run it, but I am pretty shakey on whether it will be supported or not. If you want, I can paste in the results from an LSPCI. I did however notice when I did one last night that the bluetooth and webcam devices did not show up in a LSPCI... So I am basically clueless on those devices. All I know is that the webcam is a USB webcam that is supported by the UVC camera driver in linux...
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th December 2008
Banned

The UVC camera.. is USB.. not sure why you expected it to show up in "lspci", it's sitting behind a USB bus.

FreeBSD does not currently have a UVC driver, but OpenBSD does.. including a V42L compatibility layer. (For user land programs..).

http://marc.info/?t=122151386700001&r=1&w=2

As for Bluetooth, the above dmesg seems to indicate it's also on the USB bus..

On FreeBSD, read the following.. you'll need to load a kernel module..
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/...bluetooth.html

On OpenBSD, experimental support is available.. but you need to recompile the kernel..
http://www.daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=2536 (A recent discussion about that..)

Hope it helps pal.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th December 2008
New User

Default re..

Thanks. I am mainly wanting to play around and see what it is like. I get tired of the "lack" of a structured plan out of the linux distro's. Maybe I will give FreeBSD a shot on my old E-Machine laptop before I start playing around with the eee pc. It's just all the random chaos that linux seems like sometimes is starting to kill me. Who knows. Maybe I will give OpenBSD a shot if it's got better support for the hardware. Thanks again.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th December 2008
UNIX lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutures View Post
Thanks. I am mainly wanting to play around and see what it is like. I get tired of the "lack" of a structured plan out of the linux distro's. Maybe I will give FreeBSD a shot on my old E-Machine laptop before I start playing around with the eee pc. It's just all the random chaos that linux seems like sometimes is starting to kill me. Who knows. Maybe I will give OpenBSD a shot if it's got better support for the hardware. Thanks again.
It depends on the hardware, I'm using OpenBSD 4.4 on the Asus EEE 900A without any major problems. Instead of the build-in Atheros I'm using Ralink and ACPI fails (so no battery), Sound works etc. pp.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th January 2009
sim
-Guest-

I believe the 1000 is very similar to the 901?

I have FreeBSD 8 CURRENT booting and running on a 4GB SDHC my 901 (cmd line only at the moment - not enough space for KDE etc).

Most stuff works, except the Ralink RT2600 wlan. Haven't tried the camera but I have no reason to expect it to work. BT - dunno never tried it.

8-CURRENT worked better for me that 7-STABLE, as of last week. S3 standby didn't work, and there was a problem with the wired LAN.

More here: http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=979

Good luck!

sim