DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Old 5th January 2009
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randux View Post
OpenBSD-4.4 is locking up in QEMU I can't believe they allowed this to happen!
Well "virtualization" is not very important thing in the OpenBSD world. I am more surprised that Qemu actually works on OpenBSD.
There is even somebody who is hacking Wine as we speak.

The Qemu has real problems if you are running SMP kernel. If I remember correctly certain network cards also can create troubles. Check the mailing lists as many problem could be resolved by properly setting parameters. I personally didn't have the nerves to play with it. My conclusion was that Qemu was not usable for me. It looks like you might have come up with the same conclusion
For me it was overkill to begin with. I wanted to run it because I need sometimes to use Flash in order to access my insurance information (I know it is ridiculus). My idea was to install Opera on the top of Windows running in Qemu and use if I have to.
I just learned today from ports@ that Flash 9 actually works on OpenBSD and that after changes in audio Gnash is much, much more stable so that is probably all I need. Java plug-in on the another hand are not distributed as binaries but I built JDK 1.5 once and now I have those idiotic plug-ins on all machines.

Last edited by Oko; 5th January 2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 5th January 2009
Disgruntled desktop user

I am surprised that OpenBSD would allow QEMU into their package tree since it can knock out the system.

I used it before on Linux to run windoze, DragonFly, and NetBSD. I never had any problems except performance.

I am still looking for a good virtualization solution so I can avoid wasting a whole box on winbloze.
BSDForums.org refugee #27
Multibooting with LILO
Old 5th January 2009
Administrator

Randux,

If you have qemu lockup, you should file a bug report

I only have experience with running DOS 6.2 under OBSD's qemu. I use it to migrate some Dutch payroll spreadsheets (SuperCalc for DOS) to Open Office.

A quote from OpenBSD developer Marco Peereboom, taken from a thread on the OBSD misc mailing list.
Quote:
qemu is a very nice development tool. I use it a lot to develop code
that does *NOT* touch hardware. For example softraid is developed on my
laptop and then tested on a qemu host on said laptop. When it is
debugged enough I'll move to real hardware to see if there are any
differences.

Problem with virtualization is that it is a security nightmare. I can't
begin to imagine running that stuff for anything but development.
Geeks are just like kids, having a new toy called 'virtualization" to play with, they completely forget their old toy 'Multi-booting'
Can't that old toy help you to prevent wasting a complete box to Windows?
Disgruntled desktop user

I figure anybody who spent 10 minutes trying it would get the same problem. I have a new install and qemu just doesn't work. If I knew more about diagnosing problems I would certainly help. As it is, I have to get a winbloze guest running.

No, I haven't forgotten about multibooting (see my sig). It's gotten to the point I find winbloze so offensive I refuse to let it take control over any real hardware
BSDForums.org refugee #27
Multibooting with LILO