DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th March 2016
Rc.conf Instructor

Default A startup website in less than 12h

Guys,

I am just trying to pick you brains. I have less than 12h to put a website with basic info for a U.S. based startup company due to the contracting requirements. Please let me know what would you do recommend. It is half-dozen people zero capitalization startup. People around me a already shouting webs.com vs build the one on goDaddy or O365. Please clear my head. We do have AWS account as well.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th March 2016
Arp Constable

Your previous posts indicate you work at a large academic center. The ones I have been at have legions of coders so I'm making the assumption that this is a "side" project for you.

I always like doing things on my own system and being able to review the generated code. If you are facile with web coding, www/bluefish has a number of templates/coding options. I think you could throw together some basic, "placeholder" code in a long day and then build from there.

Although I dislike WYSIWYG site generators, www/seamonkey can also excrete a website quickly.

I managed a simple web site on a cheap commercial host and they also provided several coding apps. I never used them, but they were there.

Last edited by shep; 11th March 2016 at 05:24 PM.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th March 2016
More noise than signal

1. Go to lunch.
  2. While at lunch, consider what your "website" actually has to do to be considered a successful delivery of service by your customer. Both by the letter of your agreement, and its spirit.
  3. Return to work
  4. Use existing infrastructure (including any cloud service like AWS) if possible. Purchase external services if necessary. Use the answers you have from Step 2 above to meet your commitments.
  5. Confirm you have successfully met the terms of your agreement with your customer, in writing.
  6. Have a meeting with your contracts management staff early next week. Bring a very big sledgehammer, so that they understand your explanation of the position they put you in without notice or planning.