DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th October 2008
Port Guard

Default kde .desktop file link doesn't act like a link when opening files

Gidday, I've found a small problem with the way links are handled,

on my desktop there is a link to a HDD device mounted under /mnt/G. This works fine when I click on it on my desktop but when I am (for example) opening a file with Kaffeine, I can't click on these links on my desktop and have the "file open" dialogue follow them because they see them as actual .desktop files.

Is there a workaround? Short of creating a softlink I mean.

Cheers.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th October 2008
ISO Quartermaster

i think they are some sort of scripts....
do
less (some link)
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th October 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by killasmurf86 View Post
i think they are some sort of scripts....
do
less (some link)
Yep, they're a text file. With all sort of info about the icon, what they execute etc etc.

What I want is KDE apps to follow them when opening files, not try and open the .desktop file itself.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th October 2008
Arp Constable

Use symbolic or hard links -- which will generally work in any application. The .desktop files are only of real use to programs that need such information, like application menus or desktop icons. If you are serious, perhaps trying playing with the type and file extension.

The only way a program can tell a symlink from the original file w/o examining the inode number, is probably via readlink()(2) anyway; but most programs (vim for example) will treat .desktop/.directory files as text files, not as 'shortcuts'.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.