DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th January 2014
New User

Default ntfs-3g: Device not configured

Hello everyone. I spent some time finding how to use OpenBSD for the first time. I come from a Linux environment so I didn't find it very difficult, but ntfs-3g is giving me a headache.
  1. I compiled and intalled libfuse from /usr/src
  2. I compiled and installed ntfs-3g from /usr/ports
  3. I tried to mount the fs: "ntfs-3g /dev/sd0i /mnt/ntfs"
  4. I get "Device not configured". And the device is not mounted.
  5. mounting as RO using the default ntfs module works fine: "mount /dev/sd0i /mnt/ntfs"

I'm using a clean OpenBSD 5.4 install, with 5.4 ports and 5.4 src.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th January 2014
More noise than signal

Hello, and welcome.

Unfortunately, libfuse and ntfs-3g were not enabled at 5.4-release because they were in development and not yet fully functional, and therefore considered experimental. I tested libfuse and ntfs-3g in June, and I had to manually add the library and header files to my -current system build, and I needed a custom kernel that included fuse interfaces, in order to conduct those tests.

The OpenBSD Project added libfuse, ntfs-3g, and sshfs-fuse to the -current build on 1 November 2013, and these will be available to you at 5.5-release, expected on or about 1 May 2014.

The ntfs-3g port was in the tree at 5.4-release, but it was not in the build (no packages were made) as the underlying components of libfuse and other dependent services were not yet ready. Here is the most recent CVS log entry for ports/sysutils/ntfs-3g/Makefile applicable to the 5.4 ports tree:
Code:
revision 1.3
date: 2013/07/15 08:05:50;  author: jca;  state: Exp;  lines: +3 -7
The uuid library from sysutils/e2fsprogs was renamed, so fix up WANTLIB.
Note: not hooked to the build; likely the last port that needed fixup
for the uuid naming change.  Amit Kulkarni had the same diff,
ok aja@ sthen@
If you wish to use ntfs-3g, you must either wait until 5.5-release or you must use -current. For a description of the flavors of OpenBSD, please see OpenBSD FAQ 5.1.

Last edited by jggimi; 20th January 2014 at 02:05 AM. Reason: typos, clarity
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th January 2014
New User

Thank you for the reply. I didn't know it was enabled in 5.5 only. I thought there was a way to install it in 5.4 (because I compiled it from the 5.4 src and ports) . I'll have to install "current" then.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th January 2014
More noise than signal

You could do what I did -- you are part way there already. You would need to build and use a custom kernel, as fuse kernel services are not part of your 5.4 GENERIC or GENERIC.MP kernel. Fuse kernel services were enabled for -current users 1 November.

That stated, I wouldn't recommend doing this. While you could certainly configure and build a 5.4-release kernel with fuse included -- custom kernels are unsupported, and you would be using code that was (at the time) experimental and incomplete.

In order to run -current, you must either re-install from a snapshot, or do a very careful upgrade with a snapshot. Very careful. Due to several changes to application binary interfaces between 5.4 and -current, a -current kernel is incompatible with 5.4 userland and port/package binaries.

That ABI incompatibility precludes you from running a "Frankensystem" with a blend of -release and -current components, if you were inclined to experiment.

Last edited by jggimi; 20th January 2014 at 02:30 AM. Reason: fixed incorrect/incomplete links, clarity.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th September 2014
New User

I went back to OpenBSD after some time, installed 5.5 and this time it was very straight forward. I have ntfs-3g working from the 5.5 ports.

If it's in the official 5.5 ports, how stable can it be considered? Is it still "experimental"? (I get the part of "use at your own risk", but I just want to know if the devs still consider ir alpha. Beta is fine.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th September 2014
More noise than signal

It's in the build, therefore the Project considers it operational and supported. As with any other supported components, you may report bugs and expect break/fix assistance with a sufficiently detailed report.

When we run experimental components, we should also report problems -- reports are welcome, but we should be cognizant that break/fix may not be possible, and we should mitigate risk: take measures to guard against data loss and production system failures. (Backup systems, avoid production implementations before testing production workloads, etc.)
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th September 2014
New User

Thank you. I was worried about my information, since I use ntfs in my external HD to share data with other PCs around the house (with different OSes, like linux and windows).

Tags
ntfs-3g ntfs openbsd